1993 Beratta fuel injectors

Old 06-27-02, 04:45 AM
1993 Beratta fuel injectors

Anyone care to share some info on cleaning/removing leaking injectors on a 1993 Beretta? The engine is a 4 cylinder. The underhood sticker says 2.2 cu. in. ( I think). It has 1 or 2 injectors leaking. I thought I might clean them and replace the o-rings for my son. Several months ago he had one repaired. Heheh, he wants to do it this time with my help. Be a first for me, I have never worked with injectors so I need a little help myself in the form of how-to info. All I know is I need to depresurrize the injectors.

Guestion- If it is not started for several days, will I still need to get the pressure off the injectors?

Tx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-02, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can remove the fuel pump relay and crank it dry. It will then be ok. Wrap the line with a rag and shield your eyes when you disconnect it.

Typically GM does not recommend cleaning injectors as it has really no benefit. The Multec/Rochester design by nature does not need to be cleaned....If you suspect problems, replacement is a better option..

The best way to clean them is with an ASNU machine which cleans them ultrasonically out of the vehicle.

There are "rebuilt" injectors out there in the market, which might be an option, however, they are generally simply cleaned .

Usually, injector problems are electrical (shorted) over being "clogged".

Old 06-28-02, 03:31 AM
Usually, injector problems are electrical (shorted) over being "clogged".

How would I go about checking them for being shorted?

Any info on how to remove them without damaging something?

Tx

Old 06-28-02, 04:58 AM
you can use an ohm meter to check resistance on them but that does not necessarily prove the injector is good, the 2.2 had some problems with leaking injectors so if you can see fuel leaking around the injector at the top of the rail it probably is just the oring leaking so you might try replacing the orings first they just pull out of the manifold after you remove the top plate that secures them into the manifold should have two orings on each injector one at the bottom and one at the top.

Old 06-28-02, 05:03 AM
probably is just the oring leaking
Thats what I am hoping.

Old 06-28-02, 08:09 PM
Piece of cake. It was just something I had never done before;although I do usually do all my own mechanic work. 22 bucks for the o-rings and a little time. problem solved ( I hope ). Le tit run for a few minutes and revved the engine a few times with no noticeable leak. Hope I let it run long enough for it to leak if it was going to.

Tx

Old 06-29-02, 09:20 AM
I was wrong. They all seem to be leaking after my son drove it to the store and back. Would it hurt to run some cleaner/additive in the tank? Tha may be no good since it could catch fire while running!
Guestion- they injectors have a hole in the middle and two depressions on side of that. These depressions show signs of sediment. What effect if any could this have on the leaking problem?

Does the bigger seal go in the groove closest to the outside end of the injector? My other son put them on before I had a chance to and put them in a middle groove, I think.

Shouldn't these seals fit rather snug on the injectors? Could tell very little if any difference in them and the old ones. Maybe the injectors are just plain worn out. Or maybe, the fuel rail?

Need help with this as I don't want him driving a molotof cocktail as he calls it.

Tx

Old 06-29-02, 11:42 AM
i cant remember if there is a groove or not but the larger oring should be at the top of the injector those indetations you are talking about sounds like where the fuel should go into the injector a little sediment is common, the orings should fit snug and you will probably have to use some lubricant of some type on the orings to prevent any damage to them when reinstalling the injector it should fit tight in the manifold and shouldnt just fall right into place you usually have to twist the injector as you are installing it to get it back down in the manifold.

Old 06-29-02, 11:45 AM
These did not fit very tight at all. All but one kinda fell in when lined up. I thought they should have been a little tighter. What does this indicate?

P. S. I'm going to remove and check them again, just in case the bigger of the seals were put in the wrong place. I'm thinking this might explain them not being really snug.

I will let you know what happens when I get through.
Tx

Old 06-29-02, 02:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit your GM dealer and get a Delco seal kit and ask for the exploded view from the parts book to make sure you put everything in the right place.

Old 06-30-02, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by boman

I will let you know what happens when I get through.
Tx
Not really a wrong place to put the o-rings.
I did pull them back out. There are only two grooves for the o-rings. I noticed three had a space/groove about 1/2" for the top o-ring while the third had a groove just big enough for the top o-ring. I'm thinking this latter one is the one that was changed at a shop a while back. Anyway, I applied a little engine oil around them again, made sure the o-rings were at the top of the wider grooves and put them back in. Before I put the clamp-down piece back over them, the top rings were still visible. Is this normal or should they have been pushed farther down? I pushed them down as far as they seemed to want to go, then put the clamp-down piece over them and tightened it down. Like said, I still get a little leak around some of them. Is it possible to have them clamped too tight? I noticed one of the ports where a n 0-ring goes looked lik it had a little scarring in itlike someone had at some point tried toclean it by scraping or sanding it, but looks to me like it should still seal off if the o-rings were in far enough, and it does seem to effect the running of the engine.

P.S. When I removed one of them, the bottom o-ring (new) came off and I had to fish it out. Heck, maybe I have an extra one in some of them that weren't fished out. Doubt that though, they seem to bottom out okay. They just seem to need to be in a little bit more to stop the seepage.
Almost forgot, possible this thing has a bad fuel pressure regulator?

Old 07-01-02, 02:06 PM
bad fuel pressure regulator

Auto Zone's site does not show a fuel regulator for this car. Find that hard to believe, must be my puter. No cold start valve either.

Old 07-01-02, 05:01 PM
i doubt that the fuel regulator is bad but i suppose it could be possible for the pressure to be so high that it would leak by the injectors, how many injectors was leaking before you tried replacing the o rings and how many is currently leaking, does the vehicle exhibit any running problems?

Last edited by bejay; 07-01-02 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-01-02, 05:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.autolibrary's link below.

You must load the rail as an ASSEMBLED unit into the manifold for it to work. That is, you clip all the injectors into the rail and load the rail and injectors into the engine and push it down evenly. As you did, use clean motor oil (NOT silicone) to lube the O rings.

This vehicle doesn't have a cold start valve. And Autozone stocks/offers the regulator for the vehicle as well.

It is Standard Motor Products part # PR92. Same for 92 to 95 2.2 vin code 4 engines, Cavalier, Beretta/Corsica.

Old 07-02-02, 03:56 AM
Bejay, all the ones I can reach seem to have at least a very slight leak. Not as bad as they were though. I have not driven it. My son drove it to the store and didn't say anything about it not running right. Seemed to run good at the curb when I ran it to check for leaks. I am not sure if it is leaking while running or after it shut off.

Joe, thanks for the info on the part number. I had wondered if I needed to pull the fuel rail to see if maybe I could get them a little deeper in. They don't seem to be in very tight at all. I wonder if maybe he needs to take it to someone who has the equipment to check fuel pressure. I may take another shot at it today.

Old 07-04-02, 04:41 AM
I have come to the conclusion that since the one injector was replaced several months to a year ago, the others have gone bad. I torqued them down a little and all still have some leakage except for one. This makes me think it, the dry one, is the one that was replaced and it may just be time to replace the others.

P.S. It looks as thought the fuel rail is part of the intake manifold.

Search this Thread