EGR Valve 95 Ford Ranger

Old 06-27-02, 11:27 AM
jpsolo
Visiting Guest
EGR Valve 95 Ford Ranger

My check engine light has been on for some time. The engine seems to be running OK. I stopped by a local parts store that offers free code-reading service. According to them, the code indicates that there is a problem with the EGR valve. Is this something that I can remove, clean/repair, and reinstall or should I just get a new one and change it?

Thanks - Jerry

Old 06-27-02, 01:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace it with a new one and change the position sensor (the plastic thing on top of the valve) if so equipped.

On some Ford applications, you can buy an EGR gasket with a screen built in. You might do that as well.

Old 07-08-02, 05:22 PM
jpsolo
Visiting Guest
What Next?

Joe - Thanks for the advice. I bought a new EGR valve with gasket and installed it. The only thing on top of the valve appears to be a vacuum hose. After installing the new valve, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and when I restarted the engine, the "check engine" light was off; HOWEVER, after driving it the next day, it's back on again. I haven't gone back to the parts store to have them read it again. Does it need to be "cleared" electronically somehow or should disconnecting the battery have done that? - Jerry

Old 07-08-02, 06:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the store check to see what the code says. They can reset the code with their scanner (some 1995 vehicles might be OBDII and require a scanner to clear the codes) The EGR passage might be clogged. Might pay to get the EGR gasket with the built in filter to prevent the pintle from getting carbonized again.

Common problem.

Old 07-08-02, 08:10 PM
jpsolo
Visiting Guest
More on EGR Valve

I went back by the parts place this PM. The system is an OBDCII. The parts guy says that the code has to be "cleared" using the code scanner as it will not just go away on its own. He did so and so far it's staying off. However, in the past it would stay off for a short time (i.e after disconnecting the battery) and then reappear maybe the following day. If it stays off through tomorrow I will figure the problem may be solved. I'll see if I can find one of the gasket with a built-in screen. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 07-09-02, 02:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You should be OK now. OBDII requires a scanner to properly clear codes. Many times on these vehicles, disconnecting the battery is not good enough. That is likely why the code reappeared.

Old 07-09-02, 08:44 AM
jpsolo
Visiting Guest
It's Back

Well the light is back on this AM after the store clerk cleared it last night. I'll go back and have them read it again to see if it's the same code (P1443) or something new. They initially told me that P1443 indicated a faulty EGR valve. Is this correct or did they misinterpret the code list and could something else is causing the light to come on?

Old 07-09-02, 09:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It sounds right, however as you said, the codes could be something else now. Make sure the gas cap is tight...that is the most common cause of a check engine light on OBDII and easily fixed .

Old 09-07-12, 10:12 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
codes

P1443 usually is a fuel cap. EGR would be a P0401 or 0402. I would check the fuel cap to make sure it is tight. If it is not tighten properly then the code will continue to come on. Most cars now days have to be "clicked" after taking the fuel cap off. The cap may need replacing.

Old 09-07-12, 10:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Ten year old question....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: