Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

error code

Visiting Guest

06-27-02, 05:54 PM   #1  
cdhark
error code

I had a problem on my 99 Chevy Cavalier that i now have fixed. how do I get the check engine light off ? Can I just unhook the battery for awhile, or is there another way? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-27-02, 07:16 PM   #2  
kdogg
Alot of times, you can just unhook the battery for about 10 minutes, or unhook the computer for about 10 minutes. Another way I have heard of not to long ago, was on GM vehicles, you can turn the key from the off to start position 3 quick times, (dont start it) and hit the gas real quick, you have to do all of that real quick, it may sound weird, but it has worked on some GM vehicles...........

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 12:35 AM   #3  
knuckles
The best way to reset the check engine light would be to use a scan tool. Barring that, you can disconnect the battery for 10 min. or more.

The method that kdogg mentioned does not reset the check engine light. That procedure is used for resetting the CHANGE OIL SOON light.

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 03:14 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I'm sure if you go to any Autozone, they should be able to rent you the scanner or shut the light off for you. With the proper scanner it takes about 10 seconds .

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 04:21 PM   #5  
kdogg
You know, Im not trying to be rude, but Im sick of everything I say yall going against it, that does work, because I watched the mechanic at work do it, and I also did it on my g/fs grandmas car, so it DOES work, thank you very much...........

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 07:11 PM   #6  
knuckles
kdogg,

No one here is trying to be rude either. We're simply trying to provide accurate information.

Cycling the key & depressing the accelerator resets the CHANGE OIL SOON light on GM cars not equipped w/ a reset button. It does not 'reset' the check engine light.

*Some* late model Chrysler cars will display codes on the digital odometer if you cycle the key off & on 3 times. The code can then be cleared by depressing & holding the trip odometer reset button. This procedure applies ONLY to certain late model Chrysler cars.

Joe_F & I can back up the information we provide w/ OEM documentation AND experience. As can chadtoolio, fordtech & a few other regulars here. We've done these things tens, hundreds, perhaps thousands of times. We know many procedures by rote & have access to OEM service info for those we don't know.

Again, we're not trying to be rude (notice that no one has made any disparaging remarks). We simply want to provide an accurate answer to the question at hand.

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 08:22 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Ok, Kdogg.

What kind of vehicle are we talking about in your example? I'm curious.

As I just reset the OIL LIFE monitor on my sister's 2002 Tahoe last week after changing the oil doing the procedure you mentioned. So, I know Knuckles is right.

OBDII cars need a scanner to reset the trouble codes. That is the PROPER way to do it. In lieu of that, I suppose the check engine light will also go off if the ECM doesn't detect that fault in enough drive cycles.

Enlighten us on the application Knuckles or myself will have a look in Alldata and post what we find.

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 11:13 AM   #8  
kdogg
Its a 93' Oldsmobile Acheiva.........The truck at work was a 93' GMC 1 ton, diesel......

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 11:19 AM   #9  
kdogg
Well, since I have posted a question on this site, and currently getting help for it, all Im trying to do is give a little back, but I guess I will just keep my suggestions to myself.........thats all they are is suggestions, not always right in everyones problem, just something they can try........

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 06:46 PM   #10  
0patience
kdogg,
Since I work on diesels and have had more than my share of the GMC diesels, the 93 is OBD1 and you can disconnect the battery and it will clear the codes.
96 and later is OBD2 and requires a scanner to clear the trouble codes. disconnecting the battery may get the light to go out for a little bit, but if there is a problem, the light will quickly return and the codes will remain.
Before 96, most vehicles it will work, after 96, most vehicles it won't work.

Search this Thread