car failed inspection

Old 06-27-02, 09:06 PM
car failed inspection

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I didn't reattach the exhaust manifold to the converter snugly enough, but would that affect emmissions? Changed the oxygen sensor a little more than a year ago.

Israel

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-02, 12:27 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Year, make, model, engine size & ALL emission test readings are needed to offer accurate advice.

Old 06-28-02, 03:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Need more detail to help. Exhaust leaks are not good and they must be rectified.

Old 06-29-02, 09:50 AM
The car is a Dodge Caravan with a 2.5L 4cylinder engine, 1994.

Vehicle reading: HC 0.40gpm CO 7.86gpm NOx 7.04gpm
Test Limits: HC 2.40gpm CO 60.00gpm NOx 4.50gpm

My car didn't seem to fail by much on the last part NOx.

Israel

Old 06-29-02, 09:53 AM
I had some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it, could that cause any trouble?

Israel

Old 06-29-02, 11:11 AM
NOx failure is because of high cly temp. Causes could be egr inop or blocked, engine coolant temp too high, lean fuel mixture( not in your case CO is good). Can also be because test bay temp too high(may need fan placed in front of car)

Larry

Old 06-29-02, 02:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Also if there is an air pump and air pipes for the air injection system, they must be sound. A rotted air pipe or misrouted AIR system will also reduce converter effectiveness and cause high NOx.

Old 06-29-02, 02:44 PM
There is no air pump on this model, but I will check all vacuum connections. I couldn't find the EGR on the car and I had the head off with manifolds and all. What is high cly temp? And I left out the thermostat for the Summer would that have any effect? I know fuel efficiency will suffer.

Israel

Old 06-30-02, 07:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
And so will your emissions . The t/stat is right near the coolant sensor which should also be changed and is likely getting fooled because of the lack of a thermostat.

Whoever told you to remove the stat for the summer either hasn't been working on cars since 1962 or is very misinformed. A modern vehicle needs a thermostat...and the right one too for proper emission control.

Put the right stat in, change the coolant sensor (it's cheap and will help your fuel mileage), check what was suggested and you'll probably pass.

With that being said, high cyl head temperature means elevated cylinder head combustion chamber temperatures (NoX).

My friend just failed inspection on his 1991 Shadow which is a similar set up to yours and the first thing I pointed out was a lack of a thermostat. Also running a code check (even though the light was not on) indicated a coolant sensor issue.