1989 Mustang won't start

Old 07-09-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm having a problem with my son's 1989 Mustang. It won't start. It's cranking over but won't fire. I've talked to "experts" and was told to replace the coil, and when that didn't work was told to replace the ignition module. Still won't start. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 07-09-00, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Is it firing now?If so fuel would be the next thing on the list to check.Make sure its getting some.

Old 07-10-00, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry folks. We could do so much more if we had some specifics on the machine such as engine size, is it fuel injected, etc. That year Mustang had a 2.3 liter 4-banger and a 5.0 Liter V-8. Each engine is worlds apart in ignition troubleshooting.

Smokey

Old 06-10-02, 10:56 PM
syke
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am having the same trouble. I have an 89 Ford Mustang 2.3L 4cyl motor. I know that the problem is not fuel related (but changed the fuel filter anyways). I am not getting any spark. I pulled out a plug and turned it over .... nothing. I replaced the plug wires but will also have to replace the cap as I noticed that it is quite corroded inside. Does someone have any suggestions for further tests or what else might need replacing.

Old 06-11-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Coil, TFI ignition module, pickup in the distributor, etc, etc.

Start with the links in my signature file below.

Old 06-16-02, 12:01 AM
syke
Visiting Guest
Well I found my problem

I was reading Joe_F's info sheets and so I looked at mt timing belt. It was broken. I will attempt to fix it any advise would be great, but I am keeping the autoshops phone number handy... Thanks all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-16-02, 06:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They should have the procedure at www.autolibrary.org

Old 06-24-02, 04:33 PM
syke
Visiting Guest
Smile

All fixed and works great. I took it to a tune-up placea to have the fine adjustments done. They also scoped it and said everything looks great.... all for $30 bucks.
Thanks all for the advice.

Old 06-25-02, 03:43 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
Hello everyone, I have a 89 pony 4cyl. that wouldnt start about 4 weeks ago also, it was the control module. about 2 months before that, the fuel pump went out, and about 3 years ago the timing belt broke also. I guess these are common problems for a 89 mustang.............Well going back to the orginial problem, it could be the fuel pump, just take off the line going to the front of the car from the fuel filter, and turn the key on, if gas comes out its good, if not the pumps bad. If your getting gas but no fire, you can bring the control module to some local parts places and they can check it free of charge..............

Old 06-26-02, 12:13 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Taking the fuel line off will tell you if the pump is running or not. It won't tell you how much pressure the pump is generating, which is critical. It's also a fire/explosion hazard.

The fuel rail is equipped with a pressure test port. Buy or rent a gauge and check fuel pressure the right way!

Old 06-26-02, 03:38 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
Well, I beleive that if the pump is working or not is also critical. I have been checking pumps like that for about 10 years and never had problem, I dont beleive its a explosion hazard, as long as you use some common sense when doing it..........but I guess to each his own...........

Old 06-26-02, 03:51 PM
krazysis
Visiting Guest
i am having the same problem with my 89 crysler lebaon
did you try the fuel pump or the fuses or the distributor cap and rotor button (see if you need a new one) or remove the distributor cap and see if the distributor is turning if now you have a bad timming belt (if its not turning its bad) thats what i have tried

krazysis

Old 06-26-02, 04:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Knuckles. Pulling the fuel line off tells you squat. That's what a fuel pressure gauge is for.

Autozone will rent you one for free, go get one

Old 06-26-02, 06:55 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
How does that not tell you squat? If you pull the line and no gas comes out the pump does not work. If gas does come out the pump works. So that tells you if the pump is "Working" or not. So how is that not telling you anything. I dont understand. Thats how i figured out that the fuel pump was out on my mustang. So obviously that method works. I have also done that on other peoples vehicles to see if thats what was wrong and it worked. And if you want a safer way to check it you can just jump the fuel pump terminals on the diagnostic box to see if you hear it running or not. ...............thanks..............

Old 06-26-02, 09:54 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Old 06-27-02, 03:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sorry, if that's your method of checking fuel pressure, it's not the right one. . If it were, all the fuel pressure gauge makers would have been out of business a long time ago. It tells you nothing except that fuel is getting to the top of the engine...that's not enough.

You check REGULATED fuel pressure. If you pull the line off and you get some fuel coming out, all you know is the pump is "working", but it still may be bad. A fuel pressure gauge tells you if it's working RIGHT (at the regulated pressure).

With your test, you could have some fuel and the pump is STILL bad. It needs to be at the RIGHT pressure and volume. That's why the service manuals have a volume and pressure check

I'm with Knuckles on this one

Old 06-27-02, 09:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Knuckles:

Leave it to Lindertech to come up with some great garage humor. Lol.

Old 06-27-02, 07:06 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
Well, I have NEVER run across a fuel pump that puts out to little or to much fuel.........all the ones I have dealt with worked or didnt work........

Old 06-27-02, 07:08 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
And I never said that was my way of checking fuel "pressure" just if your getting fuel or not.........

Old 06-27-02, 07:26 PM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joe, if you are not getting spark dont over look the pickup coil in dist. if you have your module tested and it is bad, 9 time out of 10 the pickup coil that triggers the mod. is bad and will kill the new mod. Yes it may crank the car and run for awile but will soon kill another mod. Wish you luck. Dave. P.S. PLESE USE CAUTION WITH TESTING FueL PRESSURE. USE A GAUGE!!!!!

Old 06-28-02, 03:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you went to the doctor and he just simply looked at you and said "You have a pulse and a heartbeat, you're ok" you'd call him a quack. You'd wonder why he didn't use a blood pressure gauge or hook you up to a heart monitor to see what's going on inside you.

In the same respect, a fuel pressure gauge does the same thing for the "heart" of the fuel system, the fuel pump and other parts of the system.

With that in mind, use a gauge or close the hood and step away from the vehicle .

My .02

Old 06-28-02, 07:13 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well said!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: