Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1988 merc. gr. marquis

Visiting Guest

06-28-02, 08:51 PM   #1  
janet givens
1988 merc. gr. marquis

Hi ! Has anyone ever heard of putting automatic transmission fluid into the gas tank ?!!!!? My car has been wanting to act sluggish or skip a little when I accelerate. It doesn't do so every time though. A mechanic said that the fuel injectors may be dirty and to wait until the fuel tank is low, then pour a bottle of a.t.f. into the tank just before I fill it up. Afterthe tank of gas is used up, if the car is still doing the same, then it could be the wires or plugs. Anybody got a clue...........??????

Sponsored Links

06-29-02, 05:13 AM   #2  
I wouldn't put ATF in fuel tank. Very well could clogg cat convertor. If you want to clean injectors why not use Techron. Or a simular product designed for that purpose.

BTW sounds like a secondary ignition problem(wires, plugs etc)

Larry

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 06-29-02 at 06:53 AM.

06-29-02, 06:04 AM   #3  
I have heard of putting atf down the intake to clean the carbon out of the engine, but it will clog the catalytic converter(s).

I wouldn't think that atf would be an effective injector cleaner.

How long has it been since it's had a tune up?

Visiting Guest

06-29-02, 07:27 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Let me know where this "mechanic" is, I'll make sure to stay far away from him...he hasn't a clue.

As the other posters correctly stated, the problem is elsewhere.

Starting with a full tuneup and servicing is square one. Need to start there

See my post The Basics below for some other ideas.

Search this Thread