rough idel bad fuel milage

Old 06-29-02, 08:19 AM
ron kroll
Visiting Guest
rough idel bad fuel milage

1989 dodge caravan 2.5 eng 111,000 miles ran
great til last week has a rough idel and getting bad fuel miles change the plugs ran ok for about 5
miles changed the map sencor still the same any
ideas should i change the og sencor? the egr valve
is good thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-02, 01:11 PM
well start by checking your codes in the computer cycle your key on,off 3 times leaving it on the third time and count the flashes of the check engine or power loss light per example a code 13 would be 1 flash short pause and 3 more flashes, was the spark plugs you pulled out of it black ?
see what code you have if any and go from there on what needs to be repaired.

Old 06-29-02, 02:56 PM
ron kroll
Visiting Guest
thanks bejay will do that also plugs were black
thanks again

Old 06-30-02, 07:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Black on the plugs indicates a rich running condition......too much fuel.

A plethora of things can cause that.

Things I would do:

1) Complete tune up..all filters, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Use good quality parts and don't skimp. A pickup plate in the distributor is also a common problem too, I'd go for that.

2) Change the O2 sensor, MAP sensor (complete with the revised bleed package from Chrysler), coolant temp sensor. They are all common failure points on this thing.

I say all this as from your description, it sounds like the truck has not seen a THOROUGH servicing in a very long time.

Old 07-01-02, 02:39 PM
ron kroll
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe F
i changed the plugs, plug wires,map sensor,oil
air and gas filters,rotor,new fuel pump,new injector, replaced most of the vacuum lines & pcv
the only thing i have not changed is the O2 sensor
can it be the cat converter?

thanks again
Ron

Old 07-01-02, 05:13 PM
the o2 sensor as joe said can cause a rich condition and is probably as fouled as the spark plugs by now, a plugged convertor can cause a rich condition, timing belt being off 1 or 2 teeth or a cylinder with low compression can also cause a rich condition cause your engine vacum will be low and the map sensor will tell the computer it needs more fuel, there is so many possibilities you may have already spent more than what the van is worth so you might want to take it to a shop and have it diagnosed instead of replacing every sensor on the vehicle hoping that it might fix your problem.

Search this Thread