Popping noises

Old 06-28-02, 10:23 AM
Dennis86
Visiting Guest
Popping noises

I'm restoring my '82 4x4 F150 I'm really about my front end. I have replaced all of my upper & lower ball joints on both sides,tie-rods and new bearings. Also replaced drivers side steering knuckle. The other knuckle was bent at the tie-rod end. I even put new shocks, new spring isulators, new polyurathane bushings for the IFS front end. The only things I did'nt replace is my pitman arm and main drag link or steering gear box.
If anyone has been in this situation. I'm all ears. I'm tired of the popping when I turn. Pease help.
Dennis86

Old 06-28-02, 12:56 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Popping

Dennis, have you check the condition of the spindle to axle u-joints?

Old 06-28-02, 10:19 PM
Dennis86
Visiting Guest
popping noises

Jackmaster,
The u-joints did'nt have any play that I saw and felt with my hands. I did'nt see any movement? They are spicer u-joints with- out locking clips. What do you think? They look original.
Dennis

Old 06-28-02, 10:36 PM
Dennis86
Visiting Guest
popping noises

Jackmaster,

Anotherthing also, I did look at the spindles they look ok.
No glazing of metal friction. I mentioned I put new bearings in
with races. I made sure I did'nt over tighten or under tighten
the bearings. I tighten to where the rotor just started to drag
then loosened up until the rotor would free spin with no play.
Do you think I should have replaced the U-joints? I thought about it but they seemed to be OK.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Old 06-29-02, 07:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
With original U joints on a 1982 4WD truck I surely would have....my theory is if I'm near there, in there, or by there, it's the cost of parts at that point. My labor and time are worth double that...especially when you have to redo.

Have you tried to put the truck on stands (WELL SUPPORTED) and started the truck up, moving the steering wheel side to side to see if you hear anything? Should be able to pinpoint it that way. On stands, it's not really under a load, so if it does it there, it may rule out certain things....

Old 06-29-02, 02:56 PM
Dennis86
Visiting Guest
Smile popping noises found

To Jackmaster & Joe_F ,

I found the problem. The passenger-side radius-arm lower bolt
was loose and was replaced. Now the front end is like new again. With all the slop of the old ball joints at first was hard to
pin point. Everything is tight. Now I need to figure out what gear ratios I have. Thats for alittle down the road . I'm now having a 302-Stroker built for my Big '82 F150 4x4 with close to 425hp
which is quit impressive. A another 4x4 rebuilder just put one in his '82 F150 shortbed. His truck sits 8" above stock with 38's for tires it pushes his truck quit well.
Well, thanks again.

Dennis

Old 06-29-02, 08:37 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Great news!!

Dennis, I am glad to hear you found the problem and were able to repair it. I especially appreciate your posting of finding the problem and what it was. Too many folks ask for help but never post what was found to be the probelm. This info is vital to all of us that try to help folks out. Thanks again and good luck 4x'ing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: