Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

a/c

Visiting Guest

06-30-02, 11:18 AM   #1  
jasonvan
a/c

my 1996 plymouth voyaguer van 3.3l air conditioning hose is in need of repair, how do I evacuate the system before I begin?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-30-02, 07:05 PM   #2  
tstokka
that needs to be done by a certified a/c tech. the tools you need are not cheap and there is a lot of training involved.

07-01-02, 12:33 PM   #3  
Check to see what type of refrigerant it is using. My 94 t bird is using the r 134a, which is ok for the environment, but if you are using Freon, take it in to an expert. On my car, it says r 134 all over the air conditioning equipment under the hood.

07-01-02, 01:01 PM   #4  
If when you mean is in need of repair you mean the hose is broken, or it has leaked, then there's probably nothing to evacuate, it should all be empty by now...

07-01-02, 01:50 PM   #5  
R-134a is scheduled to be banned near the year 2020 because it is a greenhouse gas. After that time (possibly even before) you'll need to be certified to even buy that.

Not to say that if you vent it's the end of the world (hey, they make computer duster cans out of the same exact stuff), but if you get caught venting r-134 from your a/c system you're lookin' at some bucks!

Just get a can side tap and hook your system up to the side of the can and spray away. lol (just kidding, just thought I'd let you know not to pull in front of the police station if you plan on venting your refrigerant.)

What repair is needed? Like trinitro said, if you have a bad hose, chances are you don't have anything to evacuate anyway. Evacuation equipment is not cheap at all. Once the hose gets replaced (they generally are not able to be repaired) you need to have a deep vacuum pulled on the system (also, expensive equipment) to remove the air and moisture.

Air will drive up pressures, resulting in poorer cooling. Air and moisture both cause acid development in the system when mixed with r-134 so you'll have a system eating it's self from the inside out. Enough moisture and your system will freeze up on the inside.

Now that I have you freaked out (hopefully not) you should pay a visit to www.aircondition.com . They have 2 forums over there dedicated to auto a/c systems and there are a few pro techs that love to help people out.

Search this Thread