98 Intrigue One More Time

Old 06-30-02, 03:25 PM
98 Intrigue One More Time

Honest, guys..... up until a few months ago I had virtually no problems with this car. Well, while waiting for my date in the barrel with Mr. Goodwrench concerning my AC Controller problem, I discovered what I thought was a stopped up evaporator drain. After a trip to the west coast (of Floridia), I noticed dampness in the passenger side floorboard. Took the little rubber nipple off at the firewall, and it appeared to be open and draining.

Did not have another occurrence for several days. Then, after two days of carefully planned experimentation, I have determined that I have a rain induced leak somewhere !!! I checked the floorboard this afternoon subsequent to the daily cloud burst, and found the carpet soaked. I could see the tracks coming from under the area where the evaporator is located.

The leak seems to be much worse while the car is parked in a steady downpour than while driving.

It could be that I am being punished for making fun of my neighbor last summer when his 99 Grand Prix had the same problem. Could there be a connection with the Pontiac version of this car? Anyway, he spent weeks applying silicone everywhere without corrrecting the problem. Plus, his entire windshield area looked like a test case for GE Silicone II.

I have checked Alldata by title only and found one TSB that might apply.

Has anyone seen a trend in this model of GM mid-size?

Thanks.

PS..for a car long out of warranty, is it worth the subscription fee to get full access to TSB's ???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 07:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's definitely not your fathr's Oldsmobile and that's half the problem. This is a very problem ridden vehicle.

Hit any GM dealer and have them print out the bulletin for you. They should be willing to do that and tell you what's needed to fix it.

Old 07-01-02, 09:19 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
unless you are VERY patient,

find a version of Mr. Goodwrench that you trust and leave trim/water leak issues to them. Had my 02 Grand Am GT1 in the shop for a soaked headliner after one of the many downpours we've had here and the water leak was traced back to two small screws in the sunroof assy.

BTW, you shouldn't make fun of your neighbour's Grand Prix.....

Century, Regal, Grand Prix, Intrigue, Impala are all W-platform incarnations.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-02, 09:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ding, ding, ding...we have a TSB:

83-15-16 OCT 98 New Windshield and Glass Urethane Adhesive Caulking Kit

I'd put a bet on it this is part of the problem. Have the GM dealer print it out for you and have a look. Maybe you'll get somewhere with them.

If not, any glass shop should be able to handle it.

Have a helper spray the area with a hose and peer under there and see if you see the water coming in.

Old 07-01-02, 09:47 AM
This is a very problem ridden vehicle
Yes it is. My sister's 1998 Intrigue, bought brand new and driven 15,000 miles a year for 3 years just totally fell apart.

IMO trade it for an Accord V6 or a Chrysler 300M or LHS if you can afford it.

Old 07-03-02, 02:49 PM
Making progress

Thanks for the TSB, Joe. I found it and agree. Based on my experience with the AC, I'll try the dealer for this.

Did some "special engineering" tests two days ago. I tried my neighbor's suggestion. It seems this model creates a funnel effect when it is sitting still with the wipers parked. In a hard downpour, the water pours into about a 5 inch area. Perhaps this area is in need of the new urethane sealer.

Anyway, the "special engineering" consisted of applying duct tape over the gap between the windshield and the plastic "apron". I only applied it to the area where water is funneled and had no leakage after the last rain. Will test it with a hose soon, then try my happy dealer again.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Contrary to my current anxiety over the last few problems, this had been a great car. Now has 90,000 miles, runs like a top, and looks great. Probs just seem to come in "3's"

Old 07-05-02, 04:57 AM
Agreed with the looks on the intrigue- they are a sharp lot!

Old 07-05-02, 05:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup it is a pretty sharp looking car.

Too bad Oldsmobile goes away in 2003 though .

I have a cartoon in my office here at work that has a bunch of forlorn guys walking out of an auto plant that says "Plant closed forever".

One guy says to the next, "This never happened with my father's Oldsmobile"

Old 07-05-02, 07:43 AM
Yes, but aren't you excited about the prospect of GMC finally making cars? That El Camino clone doesn't count.

Think of it- Professional Grade Luxury. Ah, what a concept. Let's see if they can sell though. Toyota sells more Camrys that Oldsmobile sells Oldsmobiles.

And they better as heck come up with a suitable replacement for the Camaro. I'd like to see them build a new generations Chevy Storm in the Mustang size. Drop a 5.7 in that baby and you have a horse spirit-breaker that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds or less.

Old 07-05-02, 10:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might get it with the Holden GTO .

However, I'm waiting for the rear drivers to come back like the Crown Vics and other Ford full sizers. Can't believe GM just had Ford eat their lunch on that one.

Old 07-05-02, 10:57 AM
Agreed. I think that the Caprice was just a classier car, not to mention gigantic car, compared to the Crown Vic. Hell, even the Bonneville is front-wheel drive.

Why, WHY do they make them all front wheel drive? I thought front-wheelers were more expensive to make??

Old 07-05-02, 01:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Maybe years ago, not today

Better fuel economy and less moving parts with a FWD. No rearend, drive shaft, the rear wheels simply are along for the ride there, no real mechanics in them, better floor space (no tunnel for the driveshaft), etc, etc.

Less material (no frame), easier to assemble, etc, etc.

Rear wheel drive is better . The world's finest cars are rear wheel, not front wheel drive .

Old 07-05-02, 02:08 PM
IYHO why is front wheel drive worse? I prefer the drive of a rear wheel too, but if the front wheel drive has fewer moving parts, then why is it necessarily worse? Wouldn't the newer ones be more reliable?

Old 07-06-02, 02:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Stronger platform, older and proven technology, heavier duty parts, less stress on the powertrain, etc, etc.

Myriad of reasons why.

Old 07-08-02, 04:58 AM
Gotcha!