Changing the power steering fluid on a 95 Accord EX

Old 07-02-02, 07:07 PM
MarkE
Visiting Guest
Question Changing the power steering fluid on a 95 Accord EX

I have a 95 Accord EX 4 cyl with about 100k miles. My mechanic buddy suggested that I change the power steering fluid. I've never tried it before and was just wondering how difficult it is and where to start.

I change the oil, air filter, and all the other easy stuff myself, but don't consider myself an expert by any means.

Appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-02, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Haven't heard that one before; my wife's '95 Camry has 135k miles and still has factory fluid in it. I've never "changed" power steering fuid in any of my vehicles and I routinely drive them to 125k. My wrecker has 315k on it (185K since last work that might have involved power steering fluid replacement) and works just fine.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you're really hard up for preventive maintenance type stuff to do and need a time filler. Otherwise drive it until either the pump or the steering rack fails which will necessitate fluid change anyway.

Old 07-03-02, 05:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Honda is always unique. They even require a special power steering fluid on some models, so make sure you use the RIGHT fluid. Buy it from Honda or make sure what you use specifically says it works in your car, or else you risk damaging the system.

I'm with TowGuy and my cars all have the original fluid in them. Only time I've had to do anything was to tighten a clamp here or there or replace a hose which would involve changing the fluid in that case.