Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1994 Mercury Sable Fan Motor Not Working


Steve'o77096's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

07-03-02, 12:10 AM   #1  
Steve'o77096
1994 Mercury Sable Fan Motor Not Working

I have a 1994 Mercury Sable. I noticed it was running a little hotter than normal... the gauge usually sits between the m And r, on the NORMAL range indicator. It almost got outside the Normal range today.

I checked the fan motor and it was not working...... I ran a hot wire to the battery and the fan spun fast..... which indicates that the problem is not the motor.

What is the most likely source of this problem? Is it the Constant Control Relay Module, the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, or Vehicle Speed Sensor?

I have a 3.8 Liter engine with the aluminum head...... if I am still in the normal temperature range..... is it safe to drive it ? In other words.... how hot is TOO hot before I end up blowing a gasket? I have a new job tomorrow and MUST be there, but I'll take a cab if I'm risking serious damage by driving this car.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

 
Sponsored Links
Joe_F's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

07-03-02, 05:17 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If the weather by you is as hot as it is today here in NYC (100 degrees), take the cab to be sure you get there. If it's going to act up, today is the day .

Likely causes are burned wiring to the fan motor (check the pigtail), a cooling fan relay (some years use a module which is mounted under the radiator shroud on top among others.

Knowing all well that the 3.8 liter Ford is a notorious gasket blower WITHOUT overheating, I would err on the side of caution and take the cab, bus or train to make sure you get there! .

 
easywind's Avatar
Member

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 516

07-03-02, 11:23 AM   #3  
Instead of throwing money at replacing parts and then having the fan come on when the engine gets very hot wire in a switch to the drivers compartment and put it on before things get to hot. Saves money and keeps the car cooler.

 
Search this Thread