Possible electrical problem?

Old 07-03-02, 09:44 AM
Question Possible electrical problem?

I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina Eurosport with a 3.1 liter, 6 cylinder engine. Within the last 2 months I've had problems starting the vehicle. The first time it happened the vehicle would almost turn over but it wouldn't start. Jumping it didn't do anything. However the panel lights worked, the ceiling light worked, but there wasn't enough juice for the car to start. I took it to a Chevy dealer and the mechanic said the problem was the throttle needed to be adjusted. So the car seemed to start fine with no problem. Now about a month later I tried to start the car and the car would not turn over. When I put the key in the starter and tried to start the car I just heard a clicking sound. In this case, my panel lights come on and the ceiling lights come on, and I can use the power windows too with no problem. It doesn't seem to be a throttle problem to me it seems more electrical . Any ideas on what the problem maybe or what I should ask the mechanic to check? By the way, within the last 2 years I've had a new battery, new starter, and a new alternator put in the car.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-02, 10:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a poor connection or a defective starter.

The next time it happens, tap on the starter body with a hammer. If it now starts, the starter is defective. Replace it with an AC Delco rebuilt.