no start

Old 07-03-02, 11:25 AM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
no start

1986 Ford Taurus, 6 cylinder, 157K miles.
Engine cranks but will not start. Accessories/lights work. Plenty of gas in tank. Connected fuel pressure guage on schrader valve and turned key on and guage reads 0, cranked engine and pressure guage says 0. It appears I have no fuel pressure. What should I check?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-02, 11:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check for a bad fuel pressure regulator (take off the vacuum line and see if you have liquid fuel in it).

The other thing is a bad fuel pump. Fords of this vintage are notorious for bad fuel pumps. Use only a Ford OEM pump...there have been a lot of supersessions on the part numbers for these.

Old 07-03-02, 11:47 AM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
did this just happen? meaning it was running before and all of a sudden it won't start.

if so then i would suspect the inertia(sp) switch located in the trunk to be popped, making the fuel pump not work.

Old 07-03-02, 11:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

That is a good suggestion and also very true .

Old 07-03-02, 12:06 PM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
Yes, it just happened. I drove it to work in the morning and went out for lunch and it wouldn't start. I'll take a look at the inertia switch. Can that be tested? Or will just unplugging it and reconnecting it do?
I installed a new fuel pump assembly (pump and sending unit) about 1 month ago. It has worked fine since the installation. The brand is 'Carter'. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator at the same time.

Old 07-03-02, 03:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

OEM pump or no pump. Ford has superseded these parts many, many times. Get the latest and greatest from Ford. I recall them switching to a Nippondenso pump on some Taurus models due to fuel foaming.

The inertia switch is like a circuit breaker in your house. Same idea. Typically, it is located in the rear trunk area, behind the carpet trim. The owner's manual will tell you the location and how to reset it.

Old 07-04-02, 05:44 PM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
I did a continuity check on the inertia switch and its fine. I also reset it. Still no start. Haynes manual says in order to check the fuel pump you have to drop the fuel tank and do continuity check on the pump. Anybody know of an easier way?

Old 07-04-02, 06:59 PM
If your pump is electric when you turn the key to the runposition without starting it you should hear a whine coming from the fuel pump. If it's mechanical there's no other way except to drop the tank.

Old 07-04-02, 08:53 PM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
There is no sound from the pump when key on. It's an electric pump. Looks like I'll have to drop the tank and replace the pump with a Ford OEM.
Anyone else have problems using 'Carter' fuel pump assemblies? It lasted only 1 month.

Old 07-05-02, 05:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Carter is a mixed bag of OEM and parts they make. Some are great, others are bad. I remember one of our lab techs testing one and saying it put out 1/4 of the flow of the OEM pump.

The issue is not that so much as Ford has made changes to the original pump and the Carter aftermarket may not be on par with that.

Get the OEM replacement and you should be good to go. Less headaches in the long run.

Old 07-12-02, 09:46 AM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
Installed new fuel pump (OEM) and car runs fine now. Sure hope this one last longer than last one.

Old 07-12-02, 04:46 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
most fuel pumps go out because people don't keep their tanks filled, not full but with at least 1/4 tank. The fuel acts as a coolant for the pump, without it the pump will fail. I'm not saying that your always running on e. Its just an observation of mine.

Search this Thread