Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bleeding anti lock brakes

Visiting Guest

07-03-02, 08:28 PM   #1  
SuziQ0370
bleeding anti lock brakes

I have a 1991 ford explorer with rear anti lock brakes. I had to have it serviced because the anti lock brake light was on. I was told that it had to do with the rear wheel cylinders and so we replaced them both, along with the master cylinder, break lines, pads, rotors & shoes. The anti lock brake light is still on and in doing research I'm not sure if the mechanic bled the system correctly. Can my husband bleed them ( the anti locks) himself and does he need any special tools to do it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-03-02, 10:19 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Since you paid for the repair and it didn't fix your problem, it should be brought back to the repair shop for them to rectify it at no charge.

Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 06:03 PM   #3  
SuziQ0370
It is a little more complicated then just bringing it back, the mechanic is jerking us aroud a bit, but all that aside, is there a way for a do it yourselfer to bleed anti lock brakes? My husband is mechanically inclined so with a little shove in the right direction he could probably do it if it can be done.

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 05:37 AM   #4  
Joe_F
A little mechanically inclined is not good enough with brakes if he has doubts. Your life or those you possibly crash into could depend on it.....

I gather you do not have a service manual for your vehicle, but I suggest you get one. If not, take a look in the autolibrary link I have posted below.

Barring that, bring it to another shop and bill the first one for the repairs to the vehicle.

Bleeding antilock brakes is sometimes no different than a non anti lock vehicle. You have to get a steady stream of fluid with no air out of each wheel.

07-06-02, 02:26 PM   #5  
Ford's explorers do require a special device to blead the brakes.I've even work for a few dealers that had to borrow it from another dealer just so we could finish a job.It's nothing more then a remote switch box that energizes the antilock motor and makes it cycle.
I would have to agree with Joe on this BRAKES are one thing not to mess with if unsure!!. Now then if your husband is a pretty fair mechanic then you can try this but be very careful and it will recqiure a helper(We'd go in pairs to do this when the "tool" wasn't available and we were tired of waiting for the service mnger to do his job!!)
Get on a remote gravel road or lot and get a little speed up and hit the brakes hard.Do this a couple of times( this makes the antilock motor cycle just like the tool would)and then on say the third or forth stop,don't let up off the peddle and the other person jumps out and bleeds the brakes.You'll get dirty doing it but it does work.Actaually,alot of times we'd do it this way even if the tool was available,it's a whole lot quicker and we had to raod test anyway .

07-06-02, 02:29 PM   #6  
Sorry, i stated jumps out and bleeds brakes,actually just have to brake bleader screws loose at all wheels and retighten one at a time while peddle is still being held.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 03:08 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Stand on one foot, touch your toes, etc...

Oh man, what a gazorch! Lol. Sounds like half the shop needs to be involved to bleed this thing! Yikes.

I would just take it back to the first guy that did the "repair" and make him fix it. If not, the Better Business Bureau might be happy to make him do the right thing .

Visiting Guest

07-08-02, 08:10 AM   #8  
SuziQ0370
repair manual

We do have a repair manual, it basically says to bring it to a professional. I guess I should have made it more clear that he(my husband) is a little more then just "inclined", he is quite good at "backyard" mechanics, but has never had to bleed anti-lock breaks. The mechanic that worked on the breaks in the first place just used a plastic tube with a syringe hooked up to it to bleed the breaks, oh well, I think we should try bringing it to another garage and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Visiting Guest

07-08-02, 08:56 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I agree with getting it done professionally elsewhere.

Brakes are not something to gamble with. Your life (or mine if you hit me) is worth a whole lot more than saving a few bucks.

Search this Thread