Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'95 Tbird

Visiting Guest

07-03-02, 10:34 PM   #1  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

I have a '95 Tbird, 4.6L. Today, when driving home from the store, it suddenly just stopped running as though the ignition key was turned off. It also gave me difficulty when I tried to accelerate hard, it acted like the ignition advance was not working. It felt like it was loading up (bogging down). Can anyone help me with these symtoms? Thank You, Bill

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 05:46 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Please read the top of the forum's page for posting guidelines or the information and repost accordingly with the required information.

Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 01:35 PM   #3  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Thanks Joe, I have reviewed your suggested source of "Basics" The car starts and runs when it is cold but after it heats up the ignition seems to just shut down. I was wondering if it is a module in the computer or somewhere in the electrical system. This just happened suddenly. I do not have an analyzer so I cannot view the codes. I have proper fuel and air so I feel the problem is in the electronis brain system somewhere. I was hoping someone may have had a simular problem and maybe tell me where to find it! Thank You, Bill

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 05:57 AM   #4  
Joe_F
95 is still OBDI, you can easily access the codes using the procedure in www.batauto.com

With that being said, yes the TFI ignition module is a likely culprit and has been problematic from Ford. So much so, they have sent letters and forms to owners of vehicles for possible reimbursement.

Knuckles posted the link to the class action suit some time ago. With that being said, you might check the module first or simply replace it with the updated Motorcraft part to see if that helps. If it does, call Ford and ask how you can get some $$ back .

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 08:24 PM   #5  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Joe,
Thank you for responding, not sure what OBDI means? I have a distributorless ignition system. I got a TFI module (my car requires 2) on loan from my local wrecking yard. I replaced mine, one at a time. The first trial resulted in the engine running, but poorly and then it quit. I replaced the test module and reinstalled mine. I then replaced the other module and the engine would not even start. I removed the test module and put my original back in. I did notice I had considerable black smoke at my exhaust. It was as though the choke was stuck closed. like on a conventional engine with a carburetor. What controls the choke operation on a fuel Injected engine? The computer?
Still looking for help. Thank You, Bill

07-06-02, 01:48 PM   #6  
I've just read your post and can't for the life of me remember a 4.6L using two TFI modules. Now they do have two coil packs that sit at the front of both cylinder heads and the plug wires attach to them.The TFI module should be on the left front (drivers) inner fender area.
I'd suggest pulling one plug wire out of the intake(easily done usuing a small pair of pliers and boy are the ends on those wires long) and seeing if you have spark while cranking the engine.If no spark take a good look at the TFI module.
You can also check for fuel at the fuel rail.You'll see what looks like a tire valve and cap on top of the engine by the injectors.Remove the cap and cycle the key a couple of times and press the valve in with a screw driver and check for fuel(caution!!, be careful sometimes the fuel can really spray out.)
Just a few suggetions, although i would suspect the fuel will be ok due to the black smoke you mentioned.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 02:02 PM   #7  
Joe_F
I agree with Fordtech, you mean a coil pack, not a module . Only one per vehicle.

I would suggest you rent a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone rather than risk spraying yourself in the face with fuel. Worth the trip there to get the right thing.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 02:39 PM   #8  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Thank you Fordtech and Joe,
I have obviously been having difficulty interpreting what is the TFI module. Thank You Fordtech.. My friend at the wrecking yard apparently told me wrong. He loaned me a coil pack as you described. The car is getting spark and fuel because it will run for about 45 seconds and then stalls. Then it is very hard to restart. When I can get it started and stay running in gear, I can drive for about 5-10 minutes and the it just shuts down as thought the key was turned off! In addition it will not accelerate, acts like a car that will not advance, typically acts like it is loading up with fuel? Thanks gentlemen for your assistance. Bill

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 03:42 PM   #9  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Fordtech,
Thanks again, I found the TPI module. The wrecking yard is closed now and a replacement is $241 at the auto parts house. Not sure I want to gamble the module is indeed the only problem! Thank You again.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 05:25 PM   #10  
Joe_F
You might want to call Ford on this one, the TFI module (not TPI) is possibly covered by a class action lawsuit/settlement as it was very troublesome.

A quick call to Ford's 800 line should net you the answer to that question. If so, you may be able to replace it and bill them for the repair...even if it's not your problem . You'll have the latest and greatest # on the vehicle

07-07-02, 07:47 AM   #11  
Stubbill, i'm glad i could help but wish i could help more.What i mean is from what you've described there are just too many possibilities on a fix.If it was me i'd pay for a diagnosis fee at a decent shop you can trust.Good luck and hopefully your luck runs better than mine and it will be something simple .

Visiting Guest

07-07-02, 09:30 AM   #12  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Fordtech,
I am so very thankful I have found this media on the internet. You and Joe have been very considerate and willing to help me. I have an appointment at my local Ford dealer Fri 12, 2002.
I owned an '86 Mustang LX, 5L, 5 spd before I lost my lower legs to diabetes. The TFI module failed me on it also, but it was easy to find, attached to the distributor. That was my coolest car for a factory hot rod I have ever owned. The unique thing about that car was it was a 302 cid, but the firing order was the same as a 351 cid? It out performed the other Mustangs (302 firing order) between stop lights!
By the way when my Tbird shut down, I could not steer or put enough pressure on the brake to stop the car, Scary. Thank You gentlemen, hope we can communicate more. Bill
PS. I have prostetic legs now and can control my Tbird very well.

Visiting Guest

07-07-02, 02:05 PM   #13  
Joe_F
Good luck and let us know how you make out with Ford.

07-07-02, 07:26 PM   #14  
I remember and still see a few of the stangs around.The LX pretty much looked like a stock mustang,like the 4 cylinders but they sure could run.
As far as helping that's what everyone is here for. Joe seems to
the most of it but others and i chime in every now and then to help out.As Joe stated good luck and let us know what you find out.

Visiting Guest

07-08-02, 09:09 AM   #15  
Joe_F
I would suggest that if you bring it to Ford...

1) If the TFI module is the problem, make them eat it or at least part of it as per the class action recall/problem.

2) You can have a parts store check the coils, modules, etc before replacing them at the dealer or parts store to determine if they are bad or not.

3) Go to www.batauto.com or drop by any Autozone store and they will scan the car for trouble codes and advise of any computer related problems they find.

Other than that, good luck with Ford and let us know

07-08-02, 09:41 AM   #16  
I own an 86 gt convertible right now, and boy can that thing run!! I have 172k hard driven original miles, and I can smoke every stock mustang right up the 99's. Love that car. Sure wish ford put all that effort into their newer cars.

Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 10:14 PM   #17  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

Jeremy,
Always great to hear responses like yours! The only problem I had was shifting. I am accustomed to cars that shifted like Chev Muncie 4 speeds. My Mustang seemed to have a considerable detent if I tried to shift fast. I did embarass a 84 Corvette that thought he could beat me between lights!!

07-10-02, 01:15 PM   #18  
Funny you should mention the 84 corvette!! I raced a fully restored ttop 84 vette about 3 weeks ago. Good race-we were practically even!!

I know what you are talking about with the shifting problem. I also used to miss 3rd gear racing. Happened at the pomona drags, suddenly I could not find 3rd!

A company called PRO 5.0 makes one incredible shifter that is manufactured out of billet steel. You would not believe what it does to the shift. My shift is reduced by 75% or so. These things are built strong!

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 07:44 AM   #19  
Stubbill
'95 Tbird

The outcome from my visit to Ford on 7/12/02. They told me it was my MAF and possibly more but the MAF must be replaced first because it may mask other problems? The MAF cost me $229.00 and was ordered 7/12/02. The installation of the MAF will run me $95.00. In the mean time they told me the mechanic rigged it so I could drive the car. When I got home I looked under the hood and found out his rigging meant disconnectiong the MAF sensor connector, which leaves the engine check light on.
Performance wise it just seems to hesitate a little from a dead stop. Hoping the new MAF will solve my problems. Will let you know. Bill

Search this Thread