Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Door locks

07-04-02, 01:29 PM   #1  
Door locks

Are door locks interchangeable from pass to driver side? The driver door lock on my 91 Accord is beginning to act up in that I have to jiggle the key around to get it to open. I have no problems with the key in the ignition so I don't think the key has excessive ware. What is the approx time to switch it out for for a D.I.Y.? What about a shop? Approx cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-04-02, 01:56 PM   #2  
tstokka
most cars have the same lock, it will probably take about 2 hrs to do. you have to take the door panel off and the lock is just cliped on to some linkage as well as the door.

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 05:54 AM   #3  
Joe_F
A new door lock is probably no more than 35 bucks from any lock smith, and they can key it up for you to the original lock and just sell you the lock.

I'd go that route before swapping it out and taking apart both door panels unnecessarily.

Try using liquid Lock Ease in the lock to lubricate/free it before you go changing the lock. I have brought many a lock back to life with that stuff.

07-05-02, 12:48 PM   #4  
<<<Try using liquid Lock Ease in the lock to lubricate/free it before you go changing the lock. I have brought many a lock back to life with that stuff.>>>

Agreed- My mom's 1999 Exlporer keylock began to act up on her (wouldn't turn). A little squirt of graphite and they act better than new.

07-14-02, 05:06 AM   #5  
Thanks

Thanks for the advice! I had powdered graphite on hand and had tried that prior to contacting DIY. I managed the find the liquid lock lubricant at the 4th store I tried. Used it 5 days ago and no problems since!

07-15-02, 04:42 AM   #6  
Thanks for the update!!!!!

Search this Thread