rockloader
Visiting Guest
Unhappy air controls/cruise control

Year--1990
Make--Chevy
Model--Lumina APV MiniVan
Engine Size--V-6
Trans type(auto, manual, overdrive)--Automatic
Problem in detail with car(when problem occurs, what is engine temp, outside temp, engine rpm, etc...)--
My temp. controls on dash are stuck on mix(defrost and floor) and won't switch to other controls(vent/defrost/floor individually). They do switch on and off--I hear the clicking noise and the light lights up but they don't switch levels.

Also cruise control quit working the same time this all happened. Are these two problems connected to the same vacuum system somehow and if so where do these lines connect at and is there a certain piece that might need replaced to fix this problem??

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-02, 10:51 PM
You have a vacuum leak.
There is a vacuum canister (looks like a round ball) probably close to your brake booster canister. It will have one or two small vacuum hoses connected. Trace these down to see if you can find disconnected or broken hose.
If you can't find the canister, trace your vacuum lines beginning from the throttle body.

Old 07-05-02, 05:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Dan. This is a vacuum problem.

Old 07-06-02, 08:03 AM
rockloader
Visiting Guest
i found a cannister located under passenger side front bumper area and also where the vacuum lines connect to the engine. How can i tell if either of these are bad??
Once again thanks for your help.

Old 07-06-02, 01:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try using a Mityvac (a hand held vacuum pump) to see if when you pump it up, it holds vacuum or it drops.

Old 07-06-02, 02:22 PM
rockloader
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up fixed

problem solved everyone. Thanks for the help.

I traced the lines a little better and found that they connect at the carbuerator and found that both lines had broken away from their connection(the adapter that goes over the vacuum line and the carbuerator end had split in half on both hoses.) Got new connector and hooked it up now I have cruise control and a very cold interior.

Easy problem this time.

Thanks again.