Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil gauge

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 08:24 AM   #1  
MTgets
oil gauge

I will be going to buy a manual oil pressure gauge, the kind you screw into the block after removing the sensor, and it has a short hose lead going to a gauge, not the cheap kind you mount in a car, that seems to be the only kind i can find.
I suppose this is the kind mech. have where do you get them and what is a good brand name?

those stupid "kid" car wanna be gauges are for looks only i think.
the gauge goes 0-25-50-75-100 all in the same space it took to type those numbers!!! how the heck are you suppose to get a accurate reading?!!
I need a BIG gauge!

Sponsored Links

07-05-02, 08:57 AM   #2  
i have one of those cheap ones in my truck and it does just fine. it actually doesn't even have the numbers, except for 0-60-? with the numbers in the relevant position on the gauge. It is within the dash along with the other normal gauge accessories. I know that my truck is supposed to be on or a little above/below the 60 mark or i'm having some sort of problems. the other numbers showing would be irrelevant to me at this point. if it gets too low or too high, then a trip to the mechanics and/or using a oil pressure gauge (hand) would be in order at that point.

do you need to be super accurate for any particular reason?

-kay

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 09:31 AM   #3  
MTgets
My point is exactly what you stated, I am at the point that you talk about. The pressure is low so I need the same hand gauge that you would go out and buy.
I dont need to be super accurate just accurate. I am told you can tell alot about a engine and where any problems are by doing a oil press check, vaccum check, and compression check, if you know how to do it, and you have to know how to read the gauges and interpret the gauges in a particular way. the gauge doesnt lie you just have to know how to read it properly and for that I think I need to see some numbers to take to my friend and show him. Thats the only reason I was looking for a good gauge.

Knowledge+good tools+proper seqence=good diagnosis
Thanks!!

07-05-02, 09:49 AM   #4  
a set of decent gauges probably won't be found at a kmart or walmart, but you can request them at an autoparts store. some autozones carry some okay ones, but a autoparts house will be your best bet. depending on how much your going to be doing with your gauges, you may want to go ahead and pop for the set of oil/compression and vacuum testers. sears is having a sale, if not now will be soon in the future, on craftsman tools. you can get a decent set, or individual gauges pretty inexpensively there, too. i love craftsman's replacement guarantee. even if you break the tool by using it for purpose it isn't intended for, they will still replace it. ex: i broke a screwdriver using it as a pry (big no-no), told them how i broke it, they still replaced it.

if you just want a loaner tool, some autozones carry the gauges for loan. you just put a deposit down, borrow the tool and get your money back when you return it. may want to check that out if you don't want to have a set on hand.

-kay

ps. i am fortunate to have a mechanic that keeps a set in his box. they don't do engine work, but he will check it for me for free, and then refer me to someone who can.

-k

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 10:48 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Kay gave you some excellent advice and I agree all of it.

A hand held gauge is used to check oil pressure. If you want to install a dash gauge, Stewart Warner is one gauge company that makes nice gauges. So does VDO.

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 12:13 PM   #6  
MTgets
Thank you Kay and Joe,
Next question,

I kinda took Kays advice and bought a good gauge that is suppose to be installed in a car, with the 8 foot white plastic line,
remember, i have a idiot light so anything is better than that. I also picked up a new oil press, unit (8 bucks) y not?
How in the world do I get the old unit out, ?!!!!!

Once it is out I can throw in the mech. gauge check for pressure for peace of mind, then throw the new sending unit in, and hope that was the problem with the idiot light coming on exactly every other time I start the engine,
The old unit takes a 1-1/16" socket but even a deep well socket isnt deep enough to get over the plastic molded electrical connector and get to the nut part.
Not to mention it is buried under the exhaust man. and wedged next to the starter!!
Is there a special socket for this Thank you for you patients, this is why I stick to electrical work!! ha ha lol

07-05-02, 12:23 PM   #7  
what make/model/year/engine size of your vehicle. my old 79 blazer is very easy to work on, however, the newer models are very different. a lot more to deal with.

i have two on my engine, one is for the gauge, one for the dummy light.

electrical? boy, need you over here. am still trying to figure out why the blower switch won't work. have checked the connectors at the firewall in the engine compartment, but hey, still clueless as what goes to what. therefore, the dash will go back in and i just won't have a high setting on the a/c blower. maybe one day i will have some sense about me and tackle it again. my next project is to figure out where the short in the tail light is. fun fun.

-kay

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 01:04 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Kay, you likely have a defective blower resistor or the connection by the RH side of the engine/firewall has melted and lost connection. Cut out the connector and put all the like colored wires together. Should come back to life.

Other poster: Yes, there is a special socket for oil pressure switches. Lisle Tool Company (any parts store stocks their line) among others make the special socket. Sears sells Lisle, they may also have a Craftsman version too. Check it out.

07-05-02, 01:34 PM   #9  
joe,

you had explained that to me in another posting, but i haven't figured out which one of the three sets of connectors belong to the wiring group. i may end up replacing all 3. i have misplaced my book on the truck. i replaced both the blower resister and also the switch. its been 96 degrees plus humidty here, which relates to 110-115 degrees. the humidity is awful and i'm a wuss! i do need to check it out tho. the a/c doesn't push to the back of the truck well when its on the medium setting, but does work. if i could get to it toward the evening or early morning i could probably get it done.

kay

Search this Thread