Sudden rough running

Old 07-02-02, 11:41 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sudden rough running

I have a '91 Ford Probe with a 3.0L, 85000 miles, bought new and well maintained. Yesterday I left work and all was well. On the way home, though, the car suddenly started to run very rough, both at idle and under load (especially under load). I thought it might be vapor lock from the extremely hot weather, but this morning the problem was still there. I've checked the cap and rotor; both look good. Sudden onset of problem probably rules out fuel filter as cause. Also note that it now knocks under certain loads and the exhaust smells rich. What else can I do beyond checking the vaucuum lines and checking the plugs and wires? (I'm going to replace the wires in any event inasmuch as they are 7 years old w/50k miles on them; the plugs, cap and rotor have about 25k.) What really struck me about this was the sudden onset of the problem.

Old 07-02-02, 04:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Any trouble codes? How's the fuel pressure. Change the fuel filter as a matter of course.

Need more detail to help...get into the problem more and post back what you find.

Old 07-08-02, 11:51 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No codes. In any event, I changed the fuel filter. I also changed the spark plug wires (since they had 7 years and 50000 miles on them and came with a lifetime warranty and thus were free) and the spark plugs (for the heck of it, even though they had only 25000 miles on them (platinum)). I don't know what the problem was, but one of those items did the job.

Old 07-10-02, 08:18 AM
robary_miller
Visiting Guest
Sudden Rough Running

I recently experienced the exact same thing with my Chrysler New Yorker V-6. I removed, cleaned and re-gapped all the plugs, but that made no difference. I took it to my mechanic, who checked the resistance plug by plug. It turned out a spark plug had gone bad. I had all the plugs replaced and put on new wires also. Now it runs like a champ!

Start with the plugs and wires, as you were thinking. If that does not do it, replace the distributor cap. Otherwise, you might have a sticking valve. Try some valve lubricant additive in your gas tank. Beyond that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: