Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wire Splice

07-05-02, 08:55 AM   #1  
Wire Splice

This may be a bit off topic, but here goes. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS. A few months after I bought I installed a headlight/tailight flasher and a Whelen Dash King Blue light. These are because I'm in the FD. The Dash King came with a cigar plug, but in the interest of hiding wires, I had it hard wired into a switch on the dash with an inline fuse, and tucked the wire into the edge of the headliner. It gives a nice clean look, no exposed wires etc. The Dash King is mounted to the glass underneath the mirror using glue. In the recent heat, the glue has melted and the light fell, as a result I've bought a new blue light which mounts by clipping around the rear view mirror. I was wondering if it is possible to just cut the cord from the existing light and then just splice the cord from the new light into it. Is it safe to do, can it be done? What kind of connector would I need? I want to do this because to run the new cord would mean taking off trim and part of the dash. Since I got through the first install without breaking any of the clips, I don't want to push my luck. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 10:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Depending on the wire gauge, you can use butt splices and heat shrink them.

My neighbor gave me an old battery charger and I did exactly that this morning with the help of my coworker in our laboratory. We got new alligator clamps and just crimped and soldered them (didn't use butt splices of course), but we heat shrunk the tubing onto it and it looks like new.

07-05-02, 02:27 PM   #3  
Thanks Joe, I just wanted to make sure before I ordered the new light. I figure I'll hide the splice connection behind the trim that runs along the drivers side of the windshield. I hate having aftermarket stuff that looks cheaply done. I'm real picky about the aesthetics of my car. I'm trying to keep these lights as discreet as possible. Thanks for the help.

07-10-02, 10:25 AM   #4  
Well I installed the new light yesterday, just as it started to pour rain. All it took was two butt connectors and it looks great. No visible wires and the strobes are nice and bright. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread