my 92 grand prix 3.1 motor the thermostat open at 198 deg f and the
cooling fan comes on at about 230 deg.
what can i change to have the fans
come on at a lower temp setting, and
where is this control unit?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-02, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Joe should be along to address that, but my instinct is that 230 degrees is way too high for the fans to be coming on. You may need to replace the coolant sensor for the fans.

Joe?

Old 07-05-02, 04:39 PM
spankyme1
Visiting Guest
on this model veh. where is this sensor
located? and what range should i use?

Old 07-05-02, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Going to need a repair manual or a GM expert like Joe Cool for that one; he'll also be able to tell us if that "on" temp is in range or not. The range won't be selectable, it'll be whatever is standard for your car. Seems to me that it's mounted in the side of the radiator, but I could be way off on that. The 350 Chevy in my wrecker has an aux fan wired to the ac, so it runs ALL the time whenever the ac is on (which is about 10 hours a day, 330 days a year here).

Old 07-05-02, 06:38 PM
Talk to the guys who run them hot.

Give the folks at http:www.summitracing.com an e-mail with your question. They deal in horsepower and have switches & thermostats that will let you cool your engine down to your needs.

I hope they can help you out, they have been very helpful in helping me with keeping the high horsepower engines I work with cool. Coolant thermostats and fan switches come in many flavors so tell them what heat range you want to maintain.

Marturo

Old 07-06-02, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the assist, marturo; hadn't thought to suggest aftermarket parts for a custom job.

Old 07-06-02, 09:45 AM
If your car is driven only by you. You can unhook the radiator fan and run a switch into the interior where you can easily reach it. There should be two wires, on hot, one ground. Ground one, run one wire to the battery, with a fuse, and run the wire to the switch, then to the fan. You can turn on the fan anytime. I live in the city with a lot of traffic and turn on the fan whenever I feel like traffic will get heavy. The only disadvantage is if many people use the car and don't know the system. Then you could overheat it. It works great and keeps the car real cool.

Old 07-06-02, 01:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The answer is: It might be normal for that engine. Some GM fans do not come on till the neighborhood of 220 degrees.

Check autolibrary below or a service manual for the running temperature. It might be a normal condition. If so, leave it alone.