Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 Ford E-150 XL cargo van

Visiting Guest

07-05-02, 10:48 PM   #1  
Nomad559

5 liter with EFI
AC - auto trans

It idles ok, but when I accelerate, It behaves like It's running out of fuel. When I'm driving on the freeway, It feels like I'm pulling a heavy trailer. This problem gets worse, the warmer the weather gets. It runs ok during the colder months. It's also getting harder to start.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 09:53 AM   #2  
waterhead
van

Have you checked the fuel filters.......When is the last time it had a tune up?

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 12:10 PM   #3  
Nomad559
E-150

Fuel filters were changed a couple of years ago, It had a tune-up about four months ago. Most of the time It will run good for a few minutes before It starts doing this, and It runs good all the time during the cold months.

I changed the coolant temp sensor yesterday.
No change

07-06-02, 01:03 PM   #4  
A couple years on a fuel filter. It would definately be the first i'd try as suggested.If you have a fuel pressure gauge you could monitor it while the concern happens and see if it's in that area or not.Also have the timing checked, as well as the air filter and it's supply tube to the intake to make sure you don't have any blockage there.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 02:54 PM   #5  
Nomad559
Thanks for your reply fordtech

When I checked the timing a few days ago, I noticed that the harmonic balancer was separating. I bought a new one, and I will replace It sunday. I'm pretty sure the timing Is off a few degrees due to the fact that the harmonic balancer is separating, the timing marks must have moved some. I agree with you on the fuel filter, I forgot to change It when I did the tune-up. I replaced the fuel pumps about three years ago, fuel pressure was good when checked about two years ago. I will check fuel pressure again monday.

07-07-02, 07:55 AM   #6  
Nomad559, it sounds like your on the right track to me.It also seems you have a good mechanical background or ability so i don't believe it will take you long to figure this thing out.Good luck .

Visiting Guest

07-08-02, 10:40 PM   #7  
Nomad559
I changed the harmonic balancer and readjusted the timing, the timing was at 14 degrees, It should be 10 degrees. The problem got worse, I changed the fuel filter, ( the fuel In the filter Is a very dark gray, almost black looking.) After Installing the new filter It runs good, I drive about 10 miles and park It for about 4 hours. I then drive about 5 miles when It starts doing the same thing, I stop at a car wash and clean underneath the van. I leave the car wash and drive another 3 miles, It runs good all the way to my home. I did not check the fuel pressure yet.

Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 02:40 AM   #8  
Joe_F
How many miles on the van? Has it ever had a timing chain done? Could be play in the chain causing the timing to be whacked out.

I believe you can disconnect the spout connector to remove the computer from the picture and try to adjust base timing. If the marks move around alot, there is likely play in the chain...could be the cause of the problem here.

With that being said, sure you got the right balancer part #?

Visiting Guest

07-09-02, 11:35 PM   #9  
Nomad559
Thanks for your reply Joe

The van has about 250 thousand miles on It, I suspect the timing chain has been changed, the timing marks do not move at all. I changed the harmonic balancer because It was separating, and I suspected the timing was off due to that. It does have a spout connector that I always disconnect before adjusting the timing.

It's still hard to start, It will turn over and over without starting, It will start on the second try after turning over about 4 or 5 times. After It warms up, It will sometimes start easy, but mostly It will turn over about 4 or 5 times before starting.

I have not checked the fuel pressure yet.

Visiting Guest

07-11-02, 10:19 PM   #10  
Nomad559
I checked the fuel pressure today, I have either a defective fuel pressure gauge or no fuel pressure. How can that be? The gauge shows zero pressure, I push the valve with a small screwdriver, nothing, no fuel.

I also noticed a small black canister on the frame between the external fuel pump and the fuel tank switch, I thought It was another fuel filter, but when I unscrewed the canister, It was empty. Should there be a filter In there? It looks like It should have one In there.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 06:09 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Check your gauge with another one you can rent from Autozone. If still zero, then you likely have a bad pump.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 08:09 AM   #12  
telco tech
Check/ replace the O2 sensor. I believe that when the engine is cool, the engine computer ignores the O2 sensor and runs in a "closed loop" mode. It will determine what air/fuel mix it thinks is best for the engine to run. Once the engine is warmed up, it will take feedback from the O2 sensor to determine the best ratio for fuel/ air. I believe that the O2 sensor does not function until it reaches 450 degrees or so, that the reason for the delay. So when your engine warms up and reads the O2 sensor, it runs poorly. I read about this senario several years ago, problem described was the engine would start and run fine every morning, but by the time it got out of the neighborhood and on to the highway, it would lose power and sputter. Just so happened the engine would warm up in the time it took to get to the highway. Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 08:21 AM   #13  
telco tech
I just read your original post again, I'm inclined to suspect the fuel pressure problem more. Had a EFI in a Cadillac do the same thing your describing. The fuel pump was weak, it would run fine up to about 45 mph, after that, real sluggish. Replaced fuel pump, ran great.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 08:38 AM   #14  
telco tech
I just read your original post again, I'm inclined to suspect the fuel pressure problem more. Had a EFI in a Cadillac do the same thing your describing. The fuel pump was weak, it would run fine up to about 45 mph, after that, real sluggish. Replaced fuel pump, ran great.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 05:38 PM   #15  
Nomad559
Thanks for your reply everyone

I now also suspect the external fuel pump, I just got home and I could hear a loud whining noise, It's coming from the fuel pump, It's only three years old. I will change It tonight.

07-13-02, 06:07 AM   #16  
I would also agree on the pump.As far as the canister you mentioned(I bet it round on the bottom part and screws off!)i'd leave it alone.Some of them did have a filter installed in them and some of them didn't.When we contacted Ford on them they said they'd use the same line set up on different vehicles and some of them didn't require the filter,but instead of manufacturing new lines they used the ones already available but just left the filter out.
One of Fords better ideas .

Visiting Guest

07-13-02, 08:20 PM   #17  
Nomad559
Problem Solved

The Van runs great with the new fuel pump

A BIG thank you to everyone

Search this Thread