chevy 350 broblem

Old 07-07-02, 05:51 PM
RON-R350
Visiting Guest
chevy 350 broblem

I have a chevy 350 1975 that stalls out every time i put it in gear ? starts ok runs ok ?????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-02, 09:32 PM
0patience
Visiting Guest
That's ok Ron, some of us got it.
Since it is a 75, not like there were many 350s available, the trans I will assume is an automatic and since there were only 3 choices available and you'd have indicated if it were a powerglide, that leaves 2 and both are pretty much the same.

If the idle is too low, the engine will stall when put in gear.
If htere is a problem with the torque converter, it will cause it to stall.
You need to make sure that the engine rpms are ok, that there are no vacuum leaks and that the timing is set correct.

Maturo,
This isn't a vehicle where even the model is that big a deal.
A 75 with a 350 is a 75 with a 350. Hardly even matters whether it is a truck or car, except for the timing may be a little different.

I've noticed lately that there are some moderators from other areas posting that warning and to be honest, I don't see it as necessary.
Have fun.

Old 07-08-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Sorry Opatience, I agree with Marturo.

When ya answer all the posts posted here in a given day, you learn something .

Information is power. It's also vital. No detail is too small. Remember, we are not at the machine and do not know it's minute details. I don't know if that machine is factory equipped or a 9 second screamer. Big difference in how we provide advice.

Many a problem here has been solved by inconventional methods because details were left out. For example, a car doesn't start, yet the aftermarket alarm was not mentioned in the detail. It might have been suggested by one of us to check for problems there.

Also, certain problems are inherent to certain models/combinations, so it's good to know that. We could also be talkng about a marine 350 which is another ballgame alltogether.

From the moderator side, the information isn't helpful, it's VITAL. I'll continue to ask it and rerequest it when not provided by the original poster, sorry

As my signature file says, "Help Us Help You"

Old 07-08-02, 06:15 PM
0patience
Visiting Guest
When ya answer all the posts posted here in a given day, you learn something
Now Joe, You know as well as I do that you aren't telling me anything new. Remember what site I have. Contend with a couple thousand posts and replies a week.

I am aware of how information is needed, again, you are not telling me anything new. My point was that it is a 75 chevy.
Pretty basic. As I said, a 350 is a 350 in those days. not too many choices of transmissions, unless he was talking about a clutch, in which case, the answer is obvious.
The questions would have come. Some things that are needed to know would have been a much better post.
Like is it an aftermarket carb? Has the vacuum system been butchered? Not things that the person posting the question would think about.
The moderator came off a little curt and I didn't think it was warranted.

Old 07-08-02, 06:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

The poster also opened up another post in which he gave more information which helps a bit.

Funny that in that post, we now learn it may not be a 1975 350. It's transplanted into a 1972 vehicle and may not be a 1975 350 after all.

I'll tell you a funny story. I have a friend that is a mechanic in Portland OR. Good guy has worked on cars longer than I can imagine. Was having an accelerator pump problem on a Q-jet.

After much back and forth and diagnosis, it was revealed the pump cup he was using might be out of spec. Turns out HIS CASTING was out of spec and on purpose by GM . With that being said, going by "it's a 350" wasn't good enough. By knowing the specific carburetor #, we figured it out in a jiffy.

That pump cup is STILL in that vehicle some 5 years later with Portland's terrible fuel quality!

Moral of the story? No detail to small.

Old 07-08-02, 10:07 PM
0patience
Visiting Guest
Only amatures take guesses, when it comes to dangerous machines like Firearms & Automobiles. I take this forum as seriously, as doing a brake job, & that about sums it up, for this pointless exchange.
Ha ha, You're right, I must be an amateur.
I guess I just don't know anything about cars.
You have a private message.

Old 07-09-02, 02:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

Opatience:

Not at all . You're a very good (albeit rare) contributor to this site

What Marturo and I are saying is that the more information we have the better. If a poster is asking me about something I may have encountered, I can save bandwidth (and my fingers, even though I type well without looking at the keyboard) if I know the specifics.

With that being said, as Marturo stated, the more specifics we know the larger the chance we have personally encountered it and can provide help.

With that being said, there are various 350's in a given year, and with 1975 being the first real emission year, our goose is cooked if we don't know what we're talking about.

Let's take carburetor adjustment data. I can show you Rochester OEM specs from 1975 and they vary by TAG # . When I adjust a carburetor, I start out with the specs for that given carburetor # (assuming it's installed on the engine it belongs on) and tweak it from there.

Additionally, the basics of the engine and its condition are quite important. If the thing burns oil, there's likely no real hope of getting it to run right. Or, if half of the emission equipment has been bypassed, removed or haphazardly plugged up, we've got trouble Houston. Most bicycles will beat it going uphill. Lol. If it hasn't seen a tuneup since I was in the 1st grade (1977), we have no chance of getting it to run where it won't make us all pass out.

As Marturo correctly said, and I agree, the poster needs to give us detailed and specific information in order for us to help. When I'm at the machine I can usually determine what I'm up against. However, when I'm miles away from it, and it's possibly in another country, I have to know what I'm dealing with to have any chance of help

So, everyone as requested, if you'd like a prompt and complete answer, please provide the requested information at the top of the forum's page.

My .02 (steps off the soapbox now)

Old 07-09-02, 05:08 PM
0patience
Visiting Guest
Joe,
you know as well as I do, that even with all the info asked for, you would have still had to ask for the carb info on something like that. It is a moot point.

As for being a rare contributer, I made it clear to Brandon when I gave up being a moderator that I had other commitments and that I would not make it here very often.

I didn't appreciate being called an amateur in an open forum like that. Maturo knows nothing of me or what I do. His post was curt and his attitude showed thru it. I call them like I see them.
I spend more hours than I ever should on dealing with automotive diagnostic problems. That is what I do.
Some folks you have to ask the right questions, others provide all the necessary info. There are ones that don't quite know for sure what info to provide and then you ask.

If bandwidth is a concern, then a forum is the wrong thing to put on a site. I know this from much experience in it and the costs I pay per month on my site.

Have fun.

Old 07-09-02, 06:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Opatience:

A couple of things:

1) I didn't take any offense to Marturo's posting. He and I don't always agree (hey but we both like Pontiac), but I respect his as well as other professional's opinions who post here. Some of you guys have been fooling with cars longer than I have been on this earth. We can all learn from each other. I didn't take anything Marturo said as offensive. As a matter of fact, specifics are ONE thing we agree on.

2) I can tell you, and Knuckles has agreed, that half of the questions posted here can be answered by the links in my signature file. I'm not going to retype what's there, I'll simply direct someone to it. If someone wants R&R procedures, I'm not going to rewrite the Chilton book...it's all there in black and white and free too! .

3) With that being said, you'll find that the posters that give us complete information get more accurate, timely and helpful replies than those that keep us guessing. As you know as a moderator, you come to probably 50 to 100 posts a day. Some people need a push in the right direction, hence my signature file. For those that cannot provide the basics for us, it's not likely we can help much. We cannot assume what we do not know. I believe this is what Marturo was saying.

Once again, I respect you "old timers" (and that's said with genuine affection, not to be a wise guy) and welcome what you have to say. But, if you go to the doctor and say "It hurts", you're not likely to walk out of the office feeling better. You're likely to walk out with a 200 bill and pain again.

Information is power, and it's also readily available, let's use it to our advantage

Old 07-09-02, 10:40 PM
0patience
Visiting Guest
Joe,
Why don't you e-mail me.
Just as soon not put what I have to say in here and there is no provision to e-mail you or private message you.

BTW, I wish it were only 50-100 posts a day. It would be alot cheaper for me.

Old 07-10-02, 06:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Opatience:

[email protected] if you want to drop me a line.