Firecrackers

Old 07-09-02, 10:05 AM
Tamina
Visiting Guest
Firecrackers

I was going down the highway this a.m. and suddenly there was a LOUD bang coming from the back of my car. At first I thought the car was backfiring or there was a problem with the muffler. The sound didn't occur again and the muffler sounds fine.

What I am wondering is: if someone put a firecracker up the tailpiper, would the heat build up enough (highway speed) to set off the firecracker and would it do any damage?

There are some kids in the neighborhood who would do something like this (I hope I don't give anyone ideas). They have been playing around with firecrackers before, during, and after the Fourth of July.

Old 07-09-02, 10:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I suppose it could be enough to light off the fuse, sure.

However, it's likely that the items were blown out by vibration or simply by the exhaust pressure pushing them out.

I remember back in 1983 or so, my grandparent's mailbox got blown off the post (complete with mail in it) by some pranksters. It was maddening at first, but I did have a good laugh at it.

We moved the mailbox to the house area and no problems since. Blew the box clean off the pole. Lol.

Old 07-09-02, 10:27 AM
Tamina
Visiting Guest
I have to say that cars are totally baffling to me. I guess that is what keeps the mechanics in business.

If the car did backfire, what causes it? I wasn't shifting--just driving along the highway.

Old 07-09-02, 12:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Spark at the wrong time, stuck valves, timing was off, etc..a lot of things could cause backfiring

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: