rebuild a 3.8 litre engine

Old 07-09-02, 06:46 PM
winstar
Visiting Guest
rebuild a 3.8 litre engine

I have a 3.8l 1995 ford winstar van with an automatic transmission... there is a tapping noise... started with a rumble but this left.. there was a sound like a suckion or rubbing... not sure what it is... think it may be a connecting rod bearing...how would I go about getting the engine out to check it out... there is no room to work ... thinking about buying a reconditioned block and rebuilding it... any ideas welcome

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 06:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the motor is definitely wiped, I suggest you get a FQR rebuilt from Ford and install that. It will cost a bit more, but includes the latest parts and fixes over the aftermarket rebuilds out there.

In lieu of that, an ATK North America rebuilt engine is probably OK too. I wouldn't suggest rebuilding this one yourself...special tools and procedures/knowledge are needed to do machine work and such.

Bettter off with an off the shelf rebuilt on this one.

Old 07-10-02, 04:28 PM
I have read quite a bit on the 95 winstar engines, you are not the only one with the problem!!! My tbird 3.8 liter blew a head gasket recently and I undertook the project myself with my dad.

My suggestion: Suck up the loss, I am so turned off now by that engine, that it almost ruined me for Ford. It is poorly designed. I would honestly suggest to get rid of the winstar at any price.

If you are going to replace the motor: Do not do it yourself, and do not get a used motor. All 3.8's blow head gaskets, and getting a used motor regardless of miles will result in another headache. I would suggest a remanufactured one.

Old 07-13-02, 08:27 AM
winstar
Visiting Guest
Wink rebuild 3.8l winstar engine

thanks for the help... I got a price on a second hand taurus 3.8l engine installed for 1500 dollars... it has 8900 kilometers on it...

Old 07-13-02, 09:06 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
same engine,

if I'm not mistaken. If you are going the used route, install it and ditch the van before it grenades again.

Old 07-14-02, 07:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Otter. Get a hold of a rebuilt engine because it has the latest and greatest updates to it. Buying a used engine here means you'll have the same problem ridden, 1995 style engine .

Old 07-15-02, 10:13 AM
I agree with Joe and Otter DO NOT GET A USED 3.8L!!!! I am talking from experience with that worthless motor. Not only that, I have talked with many people with that motor. Every one of them all say the same thing....The head gasket WILL and DOES go out between 75-100k. The used motor you install will do exactly the same thing, then you will have wasted 1500!!

I feel your misery, my tbird 3.8L went out in Feb, and I have not driven it since, and I owe 6k on the car, It is supposed to be my trans. car. Oh well. We just have to take our loss, and suck it up, and pay for it.

Old 07-16-02, 06:43 AM
My friend had a 1995 Mustang with a 3.8, assuming this is the same engine. He had a problem at 30K miles with it running hot on him. FoMoCo couldn't figure out why, and he eventually traded it for a sporty S-10 with a 4.3 that would tear his 'stang a new one.

Agreed with above, ditch the Windstar and get something else. I like the newer (99 up) Mazda MPV's but that's a personal choice.