Belt Squealing

Old 07-09-02, 07:33 PM
Unhappy Belt Squealing

I have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 liter engine with about 85,000 miles. I had a problem of the belt squealing all the time AND no cool air from the A/C. I changed the belt and added two cans of R 134a refrigerant. This stopped the belt noise and the A/C now blows cool air. But after a few hundred miles, the belt now squeals badly when the A/C is on and the car is standing still (it stops if the A/C is turned off and then on again). The air continues to be very cool from the A/C.

What can I check or do to stop the belt noise?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 06:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What brand of belt are you using?

How's the condition of the tensioning device and the pulleys?

Old 07-10-02, 04:03 PM
The replacement serpentine belt I used is a Kelly Springfield, #970K6, 6 rib and 97.0 inches in length. The adjusting bolt behind the power steering pump seems to be in good condition and tightened the belt well. As far as I can tell, the pulleys seem to be in good condition.

Is there a good way to check the belt tension without a specific tool?

Old 07-10-02, 06:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dump that no name belt (they make tires) for a quality OEM or Gates or Dayco belt. Better off.

You can check the autolibrary link for info on the tensioner. See my signature file below.

Old 07-13-02, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your reply. Does the brand of belt really make that much of a difference? Is there a reason why the belt would only squeal when the A/C was on? Would a bad A/C compressor or lack of oil in the A/C system also be part of the problem?

Old 07-13-02, 09:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A crappy belt will cause a lot of grief. I only use OE belts, Dayco or Gates.

Does it do it with the A/C on as well? How does the A/C work? Is it a belt squeal or a bearing type noise?

Old 07-15-02, 05:50 PM
The only time the squealing happens is when the A/C is on and actually only when it is on and the car slows down or stops. When I accelerate, the squealing goes away. When the A/C is off, there is no noise. And in my opinion, it does sound like a belt and not a bearing.

Thanks.

Old 07-16-02, 08:29 PM
ballant
Visiting Guest
Re: Belt Squealing

Originally posted by ellersk
I have a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 liter engine with about 85,000 miles. I had a problem of the belt squealing all the time AND no cool air from the A/C. I changed the belt and added two cans of R 134a refrigerant. This stopped the belt noise and the A/C now blows cool air. But after a few hundred miles, the belt now squeals badly when the A/C is on and the car is standing still (it stops if the A/C is turned off and then on again). The air continues to be very cool from the A/C.

What can I check or do to stop the belt noise?

Thanks.
Oh lord..I know what thats like my Mazda had the same problem and no matter how many times I brought it back to get fixed or no matter how much wd 40 I applied it wouldnt stop. I finally found out that it was because I needed manufacturer belts, so I went back to the garage trying to fix the belts and got them to order me belts from mazda. Some vehicles are like that...dunno why..hehe! So possibly try the manufacturer, and good luck!