An Ounce of Prevention

Old 07-09-02, 11:08 PM
illson
Visiting Guest
Smile An Ounce of Prevention

I own a (4 cylinder?) '92 Toyota Tercel with lots of miles and still running well. My question is:

What are the basic of tools a young man needs in order to help maintain his car in working order?

I don't mean 'persistence' or 'patience,' I mean steel-forged tools.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 03:46 AM
Tools

I would say that you would need a good set of wrenches a set of sockets deep and shallow 3/8 and 1/4 drive with the ratchets and a few extinsions.
various plyers like needle nose vice grips channel lock. a couple of ball peen hammers,a good floor jack and somesaftey stands,
a putty scraper.a set of allen wrenches,This would be the least to get going.
Keep in mind that good quality tools are a must if you dont want agrvation.buy at least craftsman dont be tempted to get a 1000 piece tool set for 89.50 from walmart they are not up to the task of any work in my book.Also a good set of scewdrivers with various tips is required.

Old 07-10-02, 06:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The list of tools required could go on and on, but Michael gave you a good starting point. My .02:

Get Craftsman or better. Stick with good quality American made tools. Far superior to the offshore junk in both quality, warranty, value and safety. Your knuckles will thank you.

Start with a good set of screwdrivers, metric rachets/wrenches, hammers, pliers, etc. Most basic repair manuals such as Haynes and Chilton outline good ideas for tools required for the beginner.

Check the autolibrary.org link below...they have a section on tools and equipment you might want to read.

Old 07-10-02, 10:58 AM
illson
Visiting Guest
Sounds like good, level-headed advice. Thank you.