Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing A/C

Visiting Guest

07-10-02, 09:50 AM   #1  
agravel
installing A/C

I have a 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 2DW. It is hot as anything and it doesn't have air consitioning. I'm thinking of installing A/C.

Is this possible?
Is this a pain?
Is this something that would cost me and arm and a leg?
However much of an arm and a leg?
Has anyone done this on a newer import before?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links

07-10-02, 12:28 PM   #2  
Re: installing A/C

Originally posted by agravel
I have a 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 2DW. It is hot as anything and it doesn't have air consitioning. I'm thinking of installing A/C.

Is this possible?
Yes

Is this a pain?

Oh I'd say probably so. I'm surprised it doesn't have a/c. Most of today’s autos have it standard. You might have to do some changing of the ductwork to be able to accommodate the evaporator core and drain.

Is this something that would cost me and arm and a leg?

I'd call the Toyota dealer. They have dealership kits that they put in. You'd probably be able to get what you need from there.

However much of an arm and a leg?

Has anyone done this on a newer import before?

Thanks so much!
I have no idea how much this would cost. I've never considered putting an a/c system in a vehicle with no factory a/c, but like I said they have dealership kits. So even if you would have to change some ductwork there is likely the piece(s) you'd need at the dealership.

I think they'll be able to answer your questions as to how hard it would be and all.

Good luck.

TX

07-10-02, 02:11 PM   #3  
Rav 4 toyota

Sounds like you need to trade your toyota in for another toyota with the stuff you want I see you want to change the gearbox to an auto and add air.I can tell you from past experience about the air.
I had an 89 chevy pickup I bought new in California and I was in the service getting orders to Texas.The truck had no air as bought but knowing that TX is unbearbable with no a/c I had it installed for 1100 dollars back in 90.I never did like the performance of the a/c system it had some problems not serious but I had drafts of hot or cold air depending on the outside air temp by the feet.
The a/c I had installed had a cable that ran a valve to the heater hose that never would shut all the way I had to get out and manually close the valve.
My advice is get a factory installed a/c not an aftermarket.better yet get a new rav4 with all you want they are good cars and will last you forever.

Visiting Guest

07-10-02, 06:34 PM   #4  
Joe_F
OEM or no go

Aftermarket AC kits are hokey and troublesome....if a dealer kit is even available.

You'll also have to upgrade the cooling system (at least the radiator) to accomodate the load of AC on the vehicle. I didn't think a RAV4 could come WITHOUT AC as Mike said!

I agree with him and seeing your other post, I would trade it in for a vehicle with what you want. Cheaper in the long run that way.

Search this Thread