High idle speed when warm

Old 07-10-02, 04:53 PM
tom_NC
Visiting Guest
High idle speed when warm

I have a 1988 Mustang with a 2.3 L 4 cyl Fuel injected. I recently installed the engine out of a wrecked '89 with 50,000 miles. Computer is complaining about throttle position sensor. TPS was one of the first things replaced. Idle is a steady 1100 to 1200 rpm when cold but when warm is a steady 1800 (even faster when hot). Noticed when first started when warm is normal, but quickly jumps to a steady 1800. I heave cleaned the mechanical portion of the idle speed sensor and changed the electonic potion with the one from the old engine and saw no change. Reset the computer and code returned.
Reading the Hayes backyard mechanic book it says "Do not attempt replacement of the throttle position sensor. Calibration is beyond the scope of the home mechanic." Screw holes were not slotted so I couldn't see anyway to adjust it anyway... Whats up with that? Any help on testing or calibration would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 06:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Whoa Nelley.....

The computer may not like the 1989 engine (the electronics could be different). Did you check (or the yard that sold you the motor) a Hollander interchange manual to see what else might have to be swapped to successfully accomplish it?

Old 07-11-02, 06:20 AM
tom_NC
Visiting Guest
No Joe I didn't - Took the guy at the yards word for it... Famous last words huh... (worry) : (

Old 07-11-02, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It may require the computer from the other vehicle to work for instance...that's why I specified to have him look in the Hollander. They typically cover such issues

Old 07-13-02, 10:48 AM
tom_NC
Visiting Guest
Checked with a fiend who looked it up - he said 1988 thru 1991 were intechangeable. Mechanic friend suggested engine temp sensor, tried it with no change...

Old 07-13-02, 03:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Looked it up where? Again, the Hollander manual says not only if they are interchangeable, but what else might have to be swapped (the computer, harness, etc) along with the motor to make it work in another year.

Many times this is the case, so verify that first.

Search this Thread