tools to have on hand

Old 07-10-02, 06:46 PM
almagg
Visiting Guest
tools to have on hand

97 buick skylark

i was going to look at the air filter which would require a regular screwdriver and a hex key wrench for the hose clamp.

and all i have is a very used phillips:-)

so if i were going to get a set of tools to have around just in case, nothing major, what would i get?
do i need metric and non-metric wrenches, sockets etc...?

kragen's has those Team Mechanix kits, or are they really a joke?

al

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 07:06 PM
a lot of hose clamps also have the slotting that accepts a flathead screw driver so you may not need a hex driver. however, for very occassional, light duty work any "kit" of tools can work.

when i first started purchasing tools, i bought just a few of the best i could afford. one of the best choices i've made have been in getting varying lengths of the screw drivers. a stubby of both a flat and a phillips is a wonderful tool for those tighter places.

stanley makes a set of screw drivers that are very affordable, and will last with occassional use. there are 6-8 in a package, can be picked up at Kmart, Walmart....there are 3 or 4 flat heads, varying in length and also width of the blade, as well as 3 or 4 phillips in varying length, and also taper of the points of the screw driver.

when you discover which of the lengths/sizes that accomodate your needs, then choose those same styles later from Craftsman, or other warrantied companies.

i don't think i've ever purchased a whole 'kit' from anywhere since i usually only purchase what tools will be required for a particular job at the time, unless it comes with 2 or more sizes, etc. and are on sale. i find that the full kits (mechanic boxes, etc.) seem to have a lot of extras that i don't think i'm capable of using under my circumstances. for example, i don't think i will be doing any major engine or tranny work in the near future. they require a different working environment that i have at the moment.

just my opinion....

kay

Old 07-10-02, 09:46 PM
almagg
Visiting Guest
wrench sizes?

for example when i got the car and had it checked out, the drive belt and belt tensioner were replaced. the labor was $106. i would do that myself in the future. oil changes - messy, let them do it:-)

if i were to get a set of wrenches/sockets, where can i found out the sizes i.e., there is metric and inches. i don't need both - do i?

Old 07-10-02, 11:23 PM
you may need a set of metric. wait a little bit for posting and someone like Joe to respond. he works on cars all the time and could tell you what the perfect starter set for your car would be.

screwdrivers, a must, and a rachet set. you could probably pick up both metric and standard sockets pretty inexpensively. you may find later down the line you need to add some deep well sockets, etc. but that would probably be more down the line. i'm sure they have some inexpensive socket/rachet sets that contain both, but please watch the ratchet. i don't recommend a fred's dollar store brand, but a stanley will work for awhile. i have had them break on me me before. any extensions you use for a ratchet should be a good one, they twist and bend.

my truck is standard but it is a '79. i've ended up with several different tools over the years as i've traded vehicles...usually purchasing what i need for the job, but i do have to admit that its nice 'just so having that particular tool' when the time comes around instead of having to run out and get it. my '89 cavalier took metric tools so i'm assuming your will, but....big but there....yours may be different.

kay

Old 07-11-02, 08:58 AM
A set of nut drivers will serve you nicely, especially doing stuff
inside the car, under dash, etc..You may need both MM and fractional

Old 07-11-02, 09:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The car is 95% metric, but you'll need both.

In my opinion for the home mechanic, Sears (Craftsman) offers the best in tools. The sets are nice, the quality is par or better and the prices quite reasonable. I always pick up Craftsman stuff at garage sales. If anything goes wrong with a Craftsman hand tool, I simply bring it back and get a replacement. No questions asked.

As I referred another poster, the autolibrary link I show below has a section on tools and equipment. You might read that for some ideas.

Old 07-11-02, 09:28 AM
the first thing i bought was screw drivers and i did buy one of those sets of sockets/rachet. the set did contain 2 ratchets (1/4 drive and 3/8") and both the metric and standard sockets from 4mm to 17mm, and from 1/4" to 1" i think. not a really good set but it is what i learned with.

i'm pretty sure it is with my son now. i can't for the life of me remember where it went. over time and changing vehicles i probably used every tool in there. it even had a small rachet (the 1/4") that also used the screw driver bits and the smaller sockets for interior work, etc. a set of comination wrenches (open one end, closed the other) would be good, too. sometimes you just can't get a socket on the nut due to space restrictions.

if you buy vise grips, please buy good ones and try not to use them on a nut unless absolutely necessary. they will strip the heads off the bolts. the are nice to stabilize a part while unbolting/bolting and are a must when a bolt has been stripped. a cheap pair can fly apart on you when you are clamping them.

kay

Old 07-11-02, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I just returned some items to Stanley and they went on about how wear isn't covered, etc, etc, etc. They got my wrath in an e-mail . We'll see what happens.

I replied to them that Sears Craftsman wouldn't even burp at this idea. They'd gladly exchange it.

It also bothered me that some of their stuff is made offshore. Whereas, a large # of the Craftsman stuff is made here. I prefer to keep our nation's people working and buy from this country. I get turned off with tools from other countries...the quality is not there. My knuckles are worth more that "saving" a few dollars.

Old 07-11-02, 09:51 AM
i buy craftsman today. like joe, i feel my knuckles are worth the saving! i do a good enough job banging them up on my own without the help of poorly made tools.

i posted in another thread that i broke a craftsman screwdriver by using it as a pry (definite no-no, i now have a small & large prybar), told them how i broke it and they still replaced it.

-kay

Old 07-11-02, 01:49 PM
Metric on a 97 Bucik

My wife has a 96 Buick skylark the engine harware is metric.

Old 07-12-02, 12:05 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I'm w/ Joe.

Craftsman is perfect for the home user. Sears is selling a 200 piece set (love how they load in the Allen wrenches & ignition wrenches to arrive at the 200 pieces) for about $150. This set should be just about perfect as a starter set. You can always add tools as you need them.

Since you have a GM car & GM is in love w/ Torx fasteners, your first 2 add-ons should be a set of internal & external Torx sockets. Sears now carries the Lisle brand, as do most parts stores. Expect to pay $15-20 for each set.

Old 07-12-02, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree. When you're in the trade and use them EVERY day, there might be a difference. Otherwise for the home user and even the serious DIY guy like me, you won't notice the difference.

A Snap On set is far superior, but you're going to pay for it. At least if you break the tool on a Sunday and need a new one, you simply return it to Sears they will happily exchange it.

I've bought beat up stuff at yard sales and brought them back to Sears years later. No questions asked, they replace it as long as they can identify it as their own. I've always found them to be fair and equitable as well as reasonable. I own a lot of their stuff.

Search this Thread