Car audio amps and subs.....

Old 07-11-02, 04:54 AM
Car audio amps and subs.....

I'm looking to put a new radio/CD player in my 86 Cutlass. I already have an amp I bought a few years back that I'm sure works. It's a 150 X 2 (300 bridged) watt Fultron Tidal Wave. Puts out plenty enough power for what I'm looking to do. I just want a little kick to the system, not something that will sound great to the vehicle six cars behind me at the stoplight.

Anyhow, I'm not at all familiar with what's popular and reliable. I previously had the amp "professionally" installed to a 400W 12" Pioneer Sub, but it got terribly distorted after 3 months or so.

I'm looking for the most reliable sub without dumping $150 into each one. I don't know if I need to run two smaller 10" or one big 12 or 15". Are the Sony Xplodes and Jensens quality subs???

I'm also gonna get a pair of speakers to replace the back and a pair to replace the fronts. I think they are 6X9 (back) and 4" (front). Again, the best buy for reliability and power handling? What wattage if my radio will put out 40 or 50W max?

Also, if my sub is a 150W X 2, what MAX power sub should I get if I run two smaller subs? Or what if I ran the one big one??

Finally, to replace my radio (it's in bad shape) I want to put in a single CD player AM/FM reciever. What brand for $200 or less do you recommend???

Thanks folks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-02, 06:25 AM
I would recommend you go to Crutchfield's website. At a minimum you'll be able to find out what fits your car, and they have some pretty good prices too.

Old 07-11-02, 07:22 AM
Thanks- I checked them out and they are helpful.

For someone with little to no experience installing electrical stuff on a car, would you recommend a DIY approach? It doesn't sound too complicated, but if they start saying "use a VOM to check for this and that" they'll lose me. I'm willing to learn but I'd need an experienced salt to show me.

Old 07-11-02, 09:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on what you are looking to install, Crutchfield sells plug in harnesses for many cars. The less splicing you have to do, the better.

My vote's for spending the money on something else in the car other than the radio though .

Old 07-11-02, 10:27 AM
This radio crackles like an elm log in a fireplace, no way I'm gonna keep it. Plus, the speakers just play at will. Sometimes the rear ones work, sometimes only the front, sometimes the right, sometimes the left! It has to go.

Plus, I need some bass. Not a ton, but certainly more than the radio puts out.

I'm curious what you'd spend the money on there Joe-- we've already ruled out a performance upgrade on the sluggy 307, I already have customer chrome gas pedals and a chrome 4 spoke GT steering wheel.

I do nead to have the headliner replaced/repaired, as well as the vinyl top, but I think I can do that all in budget along with the radio. Already have new shocks, plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor. Will be doing the hose upgrade you mentioned as soon as time permits.

So where would your money go otherwise?

Search this Thread