Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chirp & Squeal

Visiting Guest

07-11-02, 02:09 PM   #1  
rckowal1
Chirp & Squeal

'99 Dodge Caravan; 60,000 miles; 3.3L engine.

Following a cold start, can hear a chirp which seems to be coming from the vicinity of the alternator. When accelerating from a stop, can sometimes hear a squealing sound under the hood.

When it's chirping; if I open the hood & rev engine, it sounds like the chirp becomes the squeal. When the engine compartment is hot, these noises deminish or go away.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what this is? Is it the belt or the alternator? Is it a sign of some sort of eminent failure? If not, is there anything that can be done to eliminate it?

Help will be very much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Sponsored Links

07-11-02, 03:51 PM   #2  
Likely a bad belt, or pulley bearing. Change the belt, if that does not work, it is probably a bearing on the a/c, alternator, etc.

Visiting Guest

07-11-02, 04:16 PM   #3  
Joe_F
You also mentioned you have a bad water pump in another post. Change the belt when you have the pump done for good measure.

Visiting Guest

07-11-02, 05:50 PM   #4  
rckowal1
First off, thanks for your replies.

Joe, the belt is brand new. It was just installed when I had the water pump replaced. The chirp was there before the belt was changed & after as well.

Do alternator bearings go bad at 60,000 miles??? Electrically, it's fine. Also, the chirp isn't always there. If it's a bad bearing, I would think it would be noisey all of the time.

Best regards, Dick

Visiting Guest

07-11-02, 07:01 PM   #5  
Joe_F
A mechanic can use a stethoscope to locate the bad accessory. You could have a bad tensioner or idler pulley, so have those checked.

There is one bulletin with regard to the serpetine belt:

http://alldata.com/TSB/17/991789EN.html

You might want to visit your Chrysler dealer for a full printout of the bulletin to learn what's going on with it. It involves loss of power steering though, which is not what you described as a symptom.

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 06:08 AM   #6  
rckowal1
Thanks for the ideas Joe. For the time being, I think I'll just keep an eye (ear?) on the chirp to see what may develop.

Some times I think this Caravan is possesed the way is does things. Yesterday, for instance, I didn't hear the chirp at all.

And you're right, the TSB doesn't really sound like it would apply to my situation.

Best regards, Dick

Visiting Guest

07-12-02, 08:51 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I'd get it checked out. You could throw the belt as it gets worse and you'll get stuck. Not worth cheaping out for the sake of getting stuck .

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 01:33 AM   #8  
ccbloome
re:chirp

If your Dodge is like most including the 1993 Dodge Spirit I used to have the chirp will never be fixed. Mine started doing it when it was brand new! The dealer replaced a belt and it did not help. They could not diagnose a problem. You may notice the chirp appears when it is raining or very damp (humid). During dry weather the chirp will completely disappear. This went on the whole time I had the car (6 1/2 years). After that my niece got the car and it still did it for the 2 years she drove it. It didn't cause any problems with the running of the vehicle, just annoying to hear the chirp, chirp, chirp. If you notice when you pull next to other Chrysler vehicles in traffic you will hear the same noise on a lot of them. Don't start trying a lot of belt dressings, etc. They only make a mess and for this problem they do not work. By the way, that Dodge Spirit was one of the BEST cars I ever owned. Drove it for years and years, only problem was had to change the thermostat 3 times. Never even had a brake job done. Changed the battery when it was 5 years old, because I got worried about the age on the battery. Dad used the battery for 2 more years in a tractor. Had one set of Michelins put on when it was 4 years old.

KY

07-24-02, 05:03 AM   #9  
I think Joe is the right track with the bad tensioner or idler pulley. I know my 97 LHS has both (I never under stood why have a serpetine belt and then have another belt for A/C, must be one of chryslers better ideas....not). And on damp morning it makes a strange sound (dont how to describe it) but it comes and goes. So I unhook the A/C belt and the noise went away, which either the idle pulley or A/C was the guilty part. So I took a can of WD-40 with a nozzle extendtion(be careful trying this easy to get hands caught by pulley and fans) and sprayed at the idle pulley bearing the noise instantly went away or it else for few minutes. From what I have seen of must manufactors belt tensioner and idler pulley are very cheaply made. Sorry its so long to explain.

Good Luck

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 06:11 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Dick,

Has the problem been resolved?

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 07:06 AM   #11  
rckowal1
Hi Guys, Thanks to all for the helpful input.

And Joe, as suggested by three of you, it proved to be the belt tensioner. I had it replaced last week after it quit chirping & started to squeal continuously. Mechanic that did it for me said this is common with Chrysler products.

Spraying with WD40 could be a very temporary fix but the noise is sure to return. Even worse, if the pulley bearing freezes up, you could tear up a belt. Not fun, nor cheap when you're on the highway 10 miles from no where.

Thanks again to all, Dick

KY

07-24-02, 09:48 AM   #12  
rckowal1,
When I refered to the use of WD-40, it was for the purpose of islolating the part making the noise, as stated the noise return in few minutes. If it came accross as a fix, I didnt mean for it to. Glad you got it fix.

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 11:22 AM   #13  
rckowal1
Online2, I assumed that you meant WD40 for isolating the source.

Best regards, Dick

Search this Thread