Sunbird Door Skin

Old 07-12-02, 09:15 AM
seguinm
Visiting Guest
Sunbird Door Skin

I have a 93 Sunbird with a rusting drinvers door. The bottom of the outer skin is now about 50% detached along the bottom edge. Very typical for this car/year. I have a new bottom half outer skin. As a DIY sort of guy... can I add on the new skin on top of the old skin and simply crimp the flange on the 3 sides. Then paint/caulk accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 09:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It has to be fitted by taking off the old skin and recrimping/welding on the new one. Not a DIY job if you want to do it right. I would just find a good used door from a junkyard and swap the whole thing. Try www.junkyarddog.com

The quick and dirty answer is "No" if you want it to look right. Depending on the severity of the rust, a body shop should be able to graft in a metal patch panel and fix your existing door.

Old 07-12-02, 11:02 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

The doors rust out on these cars when the drain holes in the bottom of the inner door become clogged.

Find a used door that is not rusted & hang it yourself. http://www.car-part.com is a pretty good source for used parts.

As Joe said, you cannot install a new door skin atop the old skin. You can remove the old skin w/ a 4" grinder & install the new skin if you have access to a small MIG welder & the skills to use it properly.