Broken Turn Signal Handle

Old 07-12-02, 10:10 AM
DOHALA
Visiting Guest
Broken Turn Signal Handle

I'M USED TO SREWING ON A NEW TURN SIGNAL HANDLE IF IT'S BROKEN, NOT DISMANTLING HALF THE CAR. MY '86 BUICK REGAL SOMERSET 2DOOR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE APPEARS TO NEED DISMANTLING AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND $200 TO REPLACE IT. THE MECHANISM STILL WORKS FINE BUT I NOW HAVE A STUB INSTEAD OF THE FULL HANDLE. IS THERE A WAY TO REATTACH THE BROKEN OFF PART TO WITHSTAND THE TREMENDOUS FORCE WHEN SIGNALING? THE AREA OF THE HANDLE THAT BROKE IS PLASTIC, 3/4" FROM THE METAL PIN THAT GOES INTO THE MECHANISM AT THE STEERING COLUMN. IT BROKE AT THE POINT WHERE THE WIRE FOR THE CRUISE CONTROL GOES UP THE HANDLE TO THE CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH VIA A 2 1/2 INCH LONG NOTCH IN THE PLASTIC HANDLE, THEREFORE WEAKENING THE PLASTIC AT THAT POINT. (I DON'T EVEN NEED CRUISE CONTROL OR THE WIRE). I USED "LOCTITE PLASTIX ADVANCED PLASTIC BONDER" TO TRY TO BOND THE TWO PIECES TOGETHER BUT IT WORKED ONLY 3X. I'M NOW CONSIDERING ELIMINATING THE WIRE AND FILLING IN THE NOTCH WITH EPOXY FILLER AND A SMALL METAL ROD IN THE EPOXY TO RUN FROM THE STILL ATTACHED STUB TO THE BROKEN OFF OFF PART. THE NOTCH IN THE STILL ATTACHED PART IS ONLY 5/8" LONG AND MAY NOT OFFER THE EPOXY AND ROD ENOUGH LENGTH TO ENABLE A STRONG ENOUGH BOND. FINALLY, I MAY ADD MORE EPOXY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE HANDELE TO ADD FURTHER STRENGH. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SIMPLER INEXPENSIVE SOLUTION OR A WAY OF GETTING THE STUB OUT OF THE STEERING COLUMN AND REPLACING IT WITH A NEW HANDLE(I BOUGHT A $20 JUNKYARD VINTAGE HANDLE) WITHOUT DISMANTLING IT ????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 12:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It has to be dismantled to install a new lever. It usually mounts to a pivot that goes on the turn signal switch.

If you want to jurry rig it try to put a larger tube like object over it and zip screw it in with a cordless drill driver . Hokey but will work.

Otherwise, generally the column has to come apart. Some come out by pulling them out of the wiper switch (but that car has a separate wiper switch on the dash as I recall) and the new one snaps in. The cruise wire is fished down to the bottom of the column with piano wire.

Please kill the caps in your posts. Very tough to read and typing in all caps is the equivalent of shouting. I can hear you loud and clear without them.

With a little "Rude Golberging" I'm sure you can find something that will do the job, but it won't look pretty .

Old 07-12-02, 10:16 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Agree w/ Joe. You can rig it w/ a wooden file handle (I've seen it done on old GM beaters). Otherwise you'll need to disassemble the column to repair it. The 'right' repair isn't especially difficult & you can rent or borrow the tools from Autozone or other DIY oriented parts stores.

A new cruise lever will cost about $70-$80 from GM. I believe they're available for le$$ in the HELP section at your local auto parts store.

Old 07-13-02, 09:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I dated a girl that had one of these winners, I mean Buicks

As I recall, the lever is color coded and unique to this Buick "N" body. It's not the typical "Does all" GM lever that you're thinking of Knuckles. In fact, GM may have superseded all the colors to black...if it's still available.

Old 07-13-02, 11:13 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Alldata shows only 1 part number for this application. I looked it up at www.gmpartsdirect.com & it's still a good number.

The PN is 25074397. It lists for $88.99 & sells for $44.50
plus shipping.

Neither website makes any mention of color, so I'm going to assume that GM superceded ALL colors to black. I'm pretty sure they also superceded the older Black/Chome cruise lever to an all black part. I believe the Motormite cruise lever is still black & chrome.

Old 07-14-02, 07:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A good possibility . I would have to check the EDS Parts Imager at work to be sure.

Knuckles caution: Alldata's parts function is VERY general! It is NOT a good parts catalog. Always refer to a GM source or AC-Delco for the right information.

EDS and Bell and Howell just are data providers for GM. Alldata has to compile the information. We have found Alldata's parts information to be unreliable at times. That's why we have full dealership subscriptions to the same things the dealers use .

Yes GM has superseded the chrome/black lever to all black. That happened a LONG time ago . Motormite still does as you say, I have one in my 84 Olds...had a friend that used to work for R&B and got me a unit to try out. The cruise wire broke on mine. That and a 5 dollar servo at the junkyard got me rolling again .

Old 07-15-02, 09:34 AM
DOHALA
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your great imput and replies J.C. & K.. I'll try not to "SHOUT", but I lost some of my hearing at a disco back east some 25 years dumber ago.

Anyway, after posting my problem I became too itchy to wait for an answer since my mind wouldn't stop ticking. I wound up taking the newly bought $20 junkyard turn signal handle to my kitchen stove and placed the metal part of the handle on the flame (alright, so it was an electric stove) around 20 or 30 seconds, took it off & tried to separate the metal from the plastic with a set of pliers. This distributed the heat to the plastic more slowly and evenly with much less chance to burn or melt the plastic. I tried it again after no success, and BINGO (I mean bingo) the plastic slid away from the metal. What resulted was a perfect hole in the plastic handle to epoxy onto the original metal stub still anchored into the steering column. The job turned out very neat and very strong. The downside is there is no cruise control anymore because I couldn't take the plastic apart to connect the wires (actually I didn't try because of time constraints and the assumption that it couldn't be done, but who knows?) The upside of the downside (are you still with me???) is I could give a hoot about cruise control.

Thanks again for your advice. I probably would have followed one of those suggestions if it wasn't for that "itch" of mine.

Dohala

Last edited by DOHALA; 07-17-02 at 07:58 AM.