1st time doing my own brakes!

Old 07-14-02, 04:29 PM
Question 1st time doing my own brakes!

I have a 1988 nissan sentra. I am going to do the brakes myself (front pads only). I have gotten some pointers from guys at work, but I am still unsure of myself. Is it as easy as they say? If so, then why do shops want $100. to $150.
Thanks
thepooder

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, front pads really are as easy as it seems. Often times shops will automatically include turning of the rotors which runs up the price somewhat. With 135k miles I'm on about my 3rd or 4th set of front pads on my Camry and have never had the rotors turned. My wrecker has about 315k and never had rotors turned, so it's not a hard and fast requirement to turn them with every brake job. About all you need for most front brake jobs is a socket & ratchet or wrench to remove the caliper assembly. You will need a c-clamp or piston tool to force the caliper piston all the way into the caliper to make room for the new pads, but other than that it's pretty easy. Can be easily accomplished in about an hour.

Safety note: Use a good set of jack stands while working and set the parking brake; do NOT do the work with car supported only by the jack.

Old 07-14-02, 05:56 PM
that is one of the things most people don't think about: the jack. those cheap scissor jacks can break, knock over, etc. and if using a floor jack, you're risking your life on a 50 cent seal.

kay

Old 07-14-02, 07:28 PM
jimherne
Visiting Guest
Breaks

I fix most anything or try to. The nost inportent thing I found is get a book on what you are going to be working on and read it.
You can do it, You just have to try. When you fix it yourself then you know it has been done right.

Go for it JIM

Old 07-14-02, 07:32 PM
another thing you can do, is remember to do one side at a time (but finish them both before you drive the vehicle) so you can use the other side for reference if needed.

books are wonderful! a must have to keep the headaches to a minimum. those designed model specific are good so you don't have to sort through too much information that doesn't apply to your vehicle.

kay

Old 07-14-02, 09:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can also check the autolibrary link I have below for some ideas.

Old 07-18-02, 04:44 PM
That was so easy. Took 45 min. I bought a floor jack and jack stands.

Thanks for the input
thepooder