Ford explorer 95 elec passenger window broken

Old 07-14-02, 09:04 PM
geber11
Visiting Guest
Ford explorer 95 elec passenger window broken

Anyone know how to fix a electric window in a 95 ford explorer? It will not move, I can hear the motor running when the button is depressed but the window will not lower.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-02, 09:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It either fell off the track or the cable/gear is snapped/stripped.

Take off the door panel and have a look.

Old 07-14-02, 10:04 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
Its most likely the window motor gear. This is a common problem with Ford window motors. The gear contains three nylon bushings that often get worn out, causing the gear to become stripped. Thats why the motor will run, but the window will not move. The good news is that you can rebuild the gear without having to replace the whole motor, which lists for about $100.
Check with a Ford parts dealer, or an auto glass shop for replacement gear parts. To remove the motor, you will have to
remove the interior door panel, of course. Then unplug the wire connection, and support the window.The motor should be connected to the window regulator with three 8mm bolts. You will
probably have to drill holes in the door shell to gain access to these bolts. Many times there will be dimple dents on the door shell to indicate their location. After you remove the motor, you can gain access to the motor gear by removing the metal cover held with a phillips head screw. Replace the gear, and reinstall everything.

Old 07-14-02, 11:01 PM
geber11
Visiting Guest
Merlo,

So I actually have to drill out holes to access the 8mm's..do you know what size bit I will need? Why would the passenger window, the one that "usually" gets used less, fail first? Or is the gear system just different than the driver side window.

Old 07-15-02, 11:10 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
Yes, you will most likely have to drill holes in the door shell to access the bolts. Sometimes there will be access holes already there, but usually not. Usually there will just be dimples on the door shell that indicate where you will need to drill.1/2" holes should should work. You just need them large enough to fit an 8mm nut driver through it. The only way to avoid drilling would be to remove the glass and entire regulator assembly with the motor still connected. But this would be much more difficult and just not worth the extra work involved. I think even the service manual says to drill holes in the door. It won't hurt anything. It will be covered by the door panel, and no one will know it except you.
I don't know why the passenger side failed first. The driver side has the same system. I would check the window channels to see if the glass slides easily in the track. There could be something causing it to bind, making the motor work harder. After you remove the door panel, and before you remove anything, I would examine the channels, guides, regulator arms, etc. to make sure there are no other problems. Everything should be lubricated also. Without removing the door panel, theres just no way of knowing. But from the symptoms you indicated, the motor gear is the first thing that came to mind, because it is a common problem. Good luck.