Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 GMC Vandura Air Conditioner

Visiting Guest

07-14-02, 09:18 PM   #1  
Vandura Owner
1995 GMC Vandura Air Conditioner

I have a 1995 GMC Vandura that has a round black canister on the underside of the hood. It has a vacuum line attached to it.

When a mechanic was changing the oil he pulled that line loose and it caused the air flows from the air conditioner to not work correctly. Specifically, whenever I stepped on the gas the air flow would stop coming out of the dashboard vents and began coming out of the heater vents. This occurred regardless of what flow setting (max, normal or bi level) I had the air conditioning set to.

The van also did not have its normal pulling power when pulling my boat while the hose was loose.

I found the loose vacuum hose and reconnected it and the air conditioning works fine now.

My question is: What does that round black canister do?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-14-02, 09:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It's the vacuum reserve tank that provides vacuum for the dash vents

Visiting Guest

07-14-02, 10:22 PM   #3  
Vandura Owner
Vacuum Reserve Tank

Thanks for your prompt response.

Would this vacuum hose being off be the cause for the engine not having any pulling power in the mountains?

I feel kind of stupid for not checking to see if I could find the problem earlier. I thought it would be a split vacuum hose somewhere that would be difficult to find. Not something that is right in front of the hood. I'm guessing that the mechanic pulled the hose loose while filling the engine with new oil.

Again thanks for the prompt reply.

Search this Thread