'99 Dakota braking bounce

Old 07-15-02, 08:13 AM
RMX
'99 Dakota braking bounce

Hey Guys,
I sure hope someone has an answer to this problem.
Background: '99 Dodge Dakota,3.8L V-6, 4X4,67K miles. Problemsfrom 20K-67K) Frame squeak,Battery shot less than 24 months, Cat. Converter blown, ABS sensor bad, trans leak, water pump bad, and now the latest. When coming to a stop, light to moderant braking, 20mph down to 10mph, I get bouncing/jettering in the whole truck. More concentrated in rear. Will not do it when above or below that speed range. Will do it in drive or netural(coasting) Front and rear brakes have been changed and double checked, has almost new tires that are balanced. Once again, will only do it during braking to an average stop, not during a hard or long slow stop. Also, getting a very slight improper meshing noise coming from the rear differential. Needless to say, this is my first and now ONLY Dodge that I will ever own. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-02, 10:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check alldata.com for any known bulletins on this problem. Sounds like a rear end issue to me. Chryslers have always been lackluster in the quality department .

If you find any bulletins back to the dealer for a free fix. My sister had a 1999 Durango and it was the biggest lemon in creation. It almost left her stranded with three kids on vacation 3 hours away. She was on HOLD for 30 MINUTES with Chrysler and it took them EIGHT hours to get a dealership to take her car in. Within the span of 5 days, the car was back at the dealership down the NJ shore 5 times! Lol.

I shed no tear when she traded that in for a 2002 Tahoe which is what I told her to buy in 1999 . Lol

Old 07-15-02, 08:43 PM
zx11rider
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Brake troubles

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your Dodge.
I sold them for about 2 years, and have never owned anything but a Dodge. I have a 01 Quad Cad Dak 4X4, and have the same problem with my truck's brakes. In mine the rotors are warped. I tend to do that everytime I drive in the mountains. Thats what your problem sounds like to me. Having them turned should fix that. But you've already had them checked so I couldn't really say. Unless it feels like it's pulling to one side when this happens, thats the only thing I know of to cause it. As far as the noise from the rear differential, thats just a Dodge trait, or more of a Dana Corp. problem. Chrysler, and Dana have been fighting for years over over this. Some make a whining sound, and others make a clunking sound all when you let of the gas between 40 and 20mph. In all honesty though if you have had that many defects with your truck already you probably have one of the first trucks off that line when it was set up. Most of these trucks never actually make to the dealers, they are used as testers instead. I wouldn't give up on Dodge yet though, as I have never had any problem whatsoever on any of mine. They truly do make the best trucks on the road, and I would put one up against Ford, Chevy, Toyota anyday of the week. Have your rotors taken of, and checked if they haven't already. Good luck

Old 07-16-02, 05:57 AM
RMX
Thanks Joe_F and zx11rider,
Correction: this is happening between speeds of 40 down to 30mph. I think zx11rider maybe has it nailed. The rotors have not been turned. I thought about that and went to do it,however try as I might, I couldn't budge them from the hub. A visual inspection showed nothing abnormal. I should know that you can't "see" wraping in a rotor. The manual says simply remove any stud retaining washer and the rotor will come right off. This is a 4x4. I'm thinking there must be more to removing the rotors(on 4x4) than what the manual says. Any help on this would be greatly welcomed.

Old 07-16-02, 08:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the autolibrary link in my signature file for R&R instructions.

Zx11rider: I have to disagree with you on Chrysler products. Their lackluster quality is the reason they are behind Ford and GM in sales and as #3 as the Big Three. Their dealer service from my experience is rotten, their part # system confused with Daimler Chrysler taking them over, and Chrysler as a whole seemed to be apathetic to my sister's cause.

There were some months when the problems were so bad, my sister outright refused to pay the lease payment as she stated to the Chrysler folks that the car was out of service for a whole month and yet they were asking her to pay for it. The dealership asked my sister when she gave it back, "Will you be buying another Durango here?". My sister's reply was that the deal would have to be collosal (i.e. basically below cost) otherwise it was already done...their 2002 Tahoe was on order.

The dealerships numbers were higher than the Chevy and the Chevy is a far superior truck in every way for the same price she would pay for the Dodge. My sister's had the Tahoe for a few months now....nary a single problem.

Old 07-16-02, 10:14 AM
RMX
Thanks Joe_F,
I'll check there. I didn't mean to start up any rival talk, I'm just a little P%$$ off with the with all the problems now. I owned a '87 Chevy Silverodo 1/2 4x4 that actually had MORE problems in the first 30k miles. Under new lemon laws this would have been called back. On the other hand I owned a '96 Ford Explorer 6years old, 113,000 ... not one single problem.
I'll get the rotors turned and report back.

Old 07-16-02, 01:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

I'd hope that vehicles have some way since 1987...the prices sure have .

I have 80's GM's like that....never any problems. I'm the second owner of my 84 Olds. It has 143k of ROUGH mileage (before I got it anyhow) and it always starts up and runs great.

The A/C on the second fan speed will frost your nose .

Search this Thread