Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Idle

Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 01:30 PM   #1  
98Blazer
Idle

I have a 98 Blazer, it's automatic and when I have the car in drive and sit in a flat area, it stays still. I have to push the gas a lot harder than any other car that I've driven in order to get it to move. What could be causing this? This also occurs in reverse. The gas pedal is a little stiff and requires unusual force to get it down at first, but then moves normally.

I apologize if this is not the correct forum to place this question. If there is another forum for it, please let me know.

Sponsored Links

07-15-02, 06:11 PM   #2  
check your throttle cable and throttle plate for binding, someone may have lowered the base idle screw causing the throttle plates to close to far and bind which could also cause a lower idle speed.
you may have a brake sticking also causing the vehicle not to roll.

07-16-02, 05:45 PM   #3  
Check to see if your throttle plate is carboned up,that would cause the throttle to stick as you describe.If it is carboned clean it with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush holding the throttle open,engine off of course.For the trans does it shift properly?If not have your computer scanned for trans codes,if you have 5 trans codes replace the ignition switch.On your Blazer your trans defaults to 3rd gear only when a fault code is present.Keep us posted.

Search this Thread