Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94" Aerostar won't start

Visiting Guest

07-16-02, 04:47 PM   #1  
seitz83
94" Aerostar won't start

I have a 1994 Ford Aerostar automatic 3.0. The van starts and runs fine but sometimes, mostly on very hot days, when I stop the engine and go to restart it, sometimes just minutes sometime up to a half hour later, the van won't start. If I turn the key everything lights up but the engine does nothing. If I open the hood it seems really hot and, after sometimes up to 45 min later, it starts right up. The engine temp. gauge reads in the normal range. I would just like an idea of what is wrong so when i take it somewhere I can give them an idea of what might be wrong.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-16-02, 09:14 PM   #2  
telco tech
Do you mean that the starter does not turn? If so there is a good chance the starter relay is going bad. My company car is a 90 aerostar, and I have to tap this relay with a stick/rock/ or wrench to get it to close the contacts for the starter to turn. My 85 econoline and 84 tempo did the same thing . Something about Fords. That starter relay is normally on the fender well near the battery, follow the big red wire from the battery to the little black relay. Give it a tap if you're stuck somewhere, then buy a new one. They are about 10 bucks. I have heard of starters failing when they get real hot, but I've had 3 Fords with bad starter relays, Had one even stick closed, so that the starter kept turning after the engine started. Had to disconnect the battery real fast for that one...

Visiting Guest

07-16-02, 09:56 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. The Fords use an external solenoid on most applications of that era and those things crap out quickly. Poor design and exposed to everything out there .

Search this Thread