Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Ford F-250 4WD

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 08:50 AM   #1  
wingplow
89 Ford F-250 4WD

Has anyone out there who has a F-250 or had one had any problems with the wiring harness that goes to the alternator
causing a fire. If so can you please email me with the details.

Thank you

my email is [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 09:55 AM   #2  
Joe_F
I want to say on some alternators there is a heavier duty revised plug from Ford. 100A Fords had a problem of melting the connector.

Check with a Ford dealer to see if they have a repair harness. If not, check any parts store they should have it.

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 11:34 AM   #3  
wingplow
89 F-250 wiring harness

I picked up the new plugs for the alternator at Parts America.
The parts man told me Ford used a lighter gauge wire for thier harness and that is why they had a problem with the harness heating up and catching on fire. I'am trying to find out if other people had the same problem in thier trucks.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 01:30 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Ya. It is a known problem on MANY Fords, not just the truck. I believe the 100A alternator (which is optional on some models) with the internal regulator is the culprit on many.

The parts man is right about the wire gauge.

07-17-02, 07:22 PM   #5  
The plug you refer to is one time use.Once it has been unplugged it needs replaced,the terminals get bad connections and cause the heat resulting at times fire.So if you you or someone else unplugged the alt for service or repair the connector should have been replaced,I will agree the guage of wire is too small for the current load of the alt.

Search this Thread