91 Subaru Loyale

Old 07-17-02, 01:59 PM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
91 Subaru Loyale

I have broken both fan belt on this Subaru. The Back belt goes around the Power Steering, A/C, Motor Drive and an idler pulley.
The front (longer) belt goes around all of those except the idler pulley and adds the alternator. The front belt is adjusted by the alternator and goes on easy. I cannot find an adjustment on the back belt. The idler has a small bolt that i can take out but it will not move. It has a large nut that the bolt goes through but it will not move.

I would like help replacing thi back belt.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 06:10 PM
Hello, I have a 92 Loyale and I am sure that it is similar to yours. On mine the idler is the adjustment for the back belt. Look between the water pump and drive pulleys and check for a long headed hexagon bolt- it is on a slotted bracket. Loosen that and the bolt on the other end that the idler is mounted to and simply pry down to snug up the belt while at the ready to tighten the long headed bolt. Tighten up the other bolt and you should be good to go. Good Luck.

Old 07-18-02, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary.org below (for both of you guys) and it should have helpful photo and the R&R procedure.

Old 07-19-02, 07:33 AM
danlmurphy
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks Toni,

I found the adjustment you described and it worked.

Thanks again,

Dan