Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wood Dash Kit

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 02:40 PM   #1  
98Blazer
Wood Dash Kit

I have a 98 Blazer, the S-10 frame, not the fullsize. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments about the Wood Dash kits? Has anyone gotten one where they are pleased with the quality and ease of installation?

Thanks,
98Blazer

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 11:34 PM   #2  
knuckles
I installed a wood dash kit on my brother's '90 Range Rover a few years ago. It was a beautiful burled walnut. Everything fit perfectly & it really dressed up the drab plastic Land Rover dash board.

I'm not sure where he ordered the kit from, but I know it wasn't cheap. He bought it on clearance for 1/2 price & it still cost him nearly $700.

07-18-02, 08:32 AM   #3  
Since the S10 platform for that year is very popular, you might try out jcwhitney.com or look on google.com with a "custom wood dash" kit.

My 86 Cutlass has this fake, crap looking wood-plastic trim. Some of it's missing. On the door, I removed some of the trim and made my own out of 1/8 plywood, looks decent (better than before especially in an old car like this).

I jus need to figure out how to get the trim to fit the plastic wood on the rest of the car- the dash looks like a nightmare to do.

Visiting Guest

07-18-02, 08:43 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I chopped up SO many of those 81 and up Cutlasses over the years Mako . I used to get those cars for free from customers that blew their engines or gave up on them. Lol. I probably still have the parts for it. Lol.

I agree with all posted here. Just type in "Wood trim for cars" into Google.com and the hits are likely to be very high.

07-18-02, 09:29 AM   #5  
Joe, you wouldn't know where I can get a new/used part to replace the wide chrome trim that goes along the bottom of a Cutlass Brougham do you? I'm missing the short piece on the front quarter panel. The rest seems to be in good shape.

Visiting Guest

07-18-02, 02:09 PM   #6  
wfhorst
I installed a wood dash kit on my Oldsmobile two weeks ago. The quality of the veneer is very good and the fit is good enough that people think i replaced the trim with wood. Installation is simple, just clean the area well with water and alcohol. If it isn't absolutely clean the adhesive won't work well. I got mine for $209 at customautotrim.com. They also make trim in brushed aluminum and carbon fibre as well as wood.

Visiting Guest

07-19-02, 04:06 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Mako:

Any junkyard. Even GM probably still has it and it's not expensive. I might have one somewhere. As I said, I have a load of those 1981 and up Cutlass parts. Eventually they all go on Ebay as I go through them .

07-22-02, 04:57 AM   #8  
Lemme know if you find one of those pieces Joe!

Thanks!

Mako

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 05:44 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I probably will as I go through them all . I did part out a 1981 Cutlass Brougham some time ago.

EBay now wants your back account # so I'm not too keen on giving them that to sell. I'd rather sell it to someone that can use it .

So, let me know what you're looking for.

07-22-02, 05:47 AM   #10  
Will that piece from an 81 fit an 86? Pretty different body styles.

That's pretty much all I need! This car, aside from a few cosmetic blemishes, is in great shape.

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 05:52 AM   #11  
Joe_F
I'll check, but 1981 through 1988 Cutlass models that are RWD are the same body style.

I believe you are looking for the trim on the fender itself. Up front by the bumper or behind the wheel on the fender? Which side?

1978 to 1980 was a different body style, as was 1973 to 1977.

07-22-02, 06:18 AM   #12  
My car, including color, looks a lot like this one, but I have the vinyl top and different wheels (14" factory polished, real nice)

The wheels are the ones on this one, but these look like they have yellow in the spokes, mine are black in the spokes.

This is an 82 Cutlass, I'm assuming a RWD. Notice the diff between this car and the first one. So wouldn't the chrome panels be different shapes? I trust what you say!

07-22-02, 06:49 AM   #13  
I didn't answer your question-

the piece I need is the one in front of the driver's front wheel

Thanks

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 07:10 AM   #14  
Joe_F
You're talking two different SUBmodels of Cutlass there Mako.

The 4 door is a GM model G69. The two door is a G47 model. In 1981, it was called an A69 and an A47. In '82, GM switched nomenclature from A to G body. Same car. 1981 to 1988 Cutlass 2 doors are the same basic vehicle. 1980 to 1987 Cutlass 4 door rear drivers are the same. I believe 1988 ONLY had a 2 door Cutlass RWD, which they called the "Cutlass Supreme Classic". That's the last of the breed to get .

The 4 door notchback is a different animal. I have some parts for that one too.

The part I'm thinking of is the two door Cutlass, like you have. Primarily I got those in the past .

07-22-02, 07:19 AM   #15  
OH! Sorry- I didn't know that they changed the body style that drastically from 2dr to 4dr. Thanks for the clarification!

BTW you should see how sensitive the new Viper alarm is on this car. This frame is sturdy as titanium! Just a lil thump on the roof and #$%@#^%^!!!!!!!!

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 09:18 AM   #16  
Joe_F
Again, both are RWD Cutlasses, but there were 2 and 4 door models.

1981 to 1988 2 door Cutlass RWD models look like the purple one and the 442 you posted.

1980 to 1987 Cutlass 4 door models look like the tan 1982 one you posted.

As you can see in most years, the models were offered simultaneously.

07-22-02, 10:44 AM   #17  
I have a friend with an 84 with 64,000 original miles on it. Really looks brand new. I didn't remember the # of doors, but based on the visuals, it's a 4 door. Not as sporty looking but still nice. Red w/red int and leather (maybe vinyl)

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 11:20 AM   #18  
Joe_F
I used to work with a guy years ago that had a 1981 Cutlass. He loved this thing. It was a V6 and midly optioned. That car always ran well...one of the few V6's that did.

He was easy on the car and when he needed to do something, he'd go full boat. He'd come over to me and ask me to order everything it needed. We'd look up whatever it needed, decide who had what and I would place the order for the stuff. At the time, he'd pay cash for it with our source (we always shared our information, discounts and what not), or my neighbor would lend hiim the money or put it on his account.

One time the door hinges sagged a bit. He said, "Order them all". A couple of times, he came in and said, "I want you to order this, this and this from GM for me. I want it all like new". We used to part out and save parts for these cars...at the time I had a 1979 Cutlass that my sister gave me. We used to split the bounty. No fewer than 20 of these cars came between us during those years. Lol Another time, I was driving it and got into an accident. He was very understanding and first question he asked me, "Are you OK?" He actually made out on the repair and got the whole car repainted...and it looked great.

He had the engine rebuilt at 120k some years later as it finally died. The engine company took 3 times to get it right and they then went out of business. It overheated about a year later, and we had to redo the engine again. This time it ran great until the end. He was happy (and pissed that the engine company screwed him). We worked nights and weekends on this car over one summer until we got it done. I remember him coming to me and saying, "Ok Joe. Your studies come first (I was in school at the time, but it was nearing the end of the spring term). Do you think once school is out, we can burn the midnight oil on the '81? I want to get it perfect". Of course, I said yes. My neighbor, Mr. D and myself jumped on this car after hours. We ordered everything it needed and laid it out soup to nuts.

Mr. D was a custodian in the NYC schools and had a good amount of connections. He secured a 1982 dash to put in the car complete with a clock. Some years later he didn't like the look of the dash, so we swapped in one from another 1982 I had gotten for free. The car had probably 200k on it, but we swapped everything from it, we'd never know. That's the beauty of a GM like this, you can mix and match things and if you do it right, it looks OEM. We enjoyed doing things to this car, it was fun. He paid 2000 for it as I recall in 1987.

We had a plan to update it to a 442 or swap over the trim to a 1987 era car. We'd get 1984 and up tailights (the ones with the Olds emblem in them) perhaps change the grilles, maybe add some Brougham trim, change to other style OEM wheels, do whatever the man wanted. He'd love my ideas and I guess the guy saw me like he would his own son...he sure treated me the same way. He used to come over and eat at my house as his son lived in Ohio and he lost his wife quite a few years before. So my mother would invite him to our house to eat with us. He was great company.

Some years later, he moved to Ohio (died shortly after he moved out there) and called me up one cold Saturday morning VERY early in a panic....someone hit him and took off, cracking the rear marker light.

Before he left for Ohio, it was repainted a bit darker shade of blue, we fittted 442 style rims from another Cutlass that my other friend wrecked and we detailed the whole car. Did the brakes, suspension, complete basic overhaul and off he went to Ohio. We gave him a grand sendaway party as well. This was the type of man that they broke the mold on after he was born. Not an evil bone his body. What a great man. Always there to help you if you needed it, kind, easygoing, and always willing to lend a hand. A real old timer with the patience of a saint. I miss the guy but know he's in a better place.

The nearest dealer was probably 40 miles away and they were surely bound to rip him off, even if they bothered to look up the part at all. He said, "Joe, I know and pray you have one of those lamps...please look extra hard".

Now this is 7 a.m. on a cold Saturday morning. Lol. In a groggy stage, I seemed to remember the box in the shed where I thought I had it. Sure enough, there it was, marked "1981 Cutlass". I called him back and said, "Yep, Mr. D, I have it. I have all four lenses....I'll UPS them to you".

Man, talk about making a guy's day . His neighbors wanted to know "his connections". His reply: "Friend of mine in NY". That must have scared the Ohio folks. Lol.

Search this Thread