88 Toyota Camry

Old 07-17-02, 07:51 PM
kgoknicks
Visiting Guest
88 Toyota Camry

I have a 88 toyota camry and have a haynes book but it does not tell me where the idle screw is to adjust the idle. I have repairs cars as amatuer in the past so I know cars but I cannot seem to find the idle screw, am I missing something??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 11:14 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
There is no idle screw. You have to adjust the throttle cable to adjust the idle.

Old 07-18-02, 02:58 AM
Don't adjust the cable...there is a screw behind a rubber plug on the throttle body(if it's a 4cyl). Don't adjust the throttle plate stop screw either, you will mess up the tps adjustment

Larry

Old 07-18-02, 03:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No need to adjust the idle at all. Why are you adjusting it? The problem is elsewhere.

In very RARE instances the idle has to be adjusted, but again, the problem is usually elsewhere as Larry alludes to.

Old 07-18-02, 06:27 PM
kgoknicks
Visiting Guest
88 Toyota camry

It is a 6 cylinder, My wife recently failed (barely) the smog test and was advised that most likely from either the gas cap or the idle. When I was in Fla I had a problem with the A/C ****ting off when the veh idled and the mechanic adj the idle a bit higher so the A/C would not shut off. I presume that may be the cause of the failure. Everything else I checked was fine, air filter, gas cap and others. do you have any other suggestions.

Old 07-19-02, 02:51 AM
Need all the gas readings for the smog failure. If done correctly there is an adjustment for the a/c idle, don't know if that was used?

Ther is no reg idle adj, but there are ways someone could hack it up. Has an idle speed control motor set by the ecm. If the idle is wrong there is a problem.

Larry

Old 07-19-02, 03:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Larry. The problem is elsewhere. Raising the idle screw is for naught, it's like patching a boat that's sinking with gum. It's not attacking the problem, it's "fixing" (and not likely to do that) the symptom.

Check for vacuum leaks, trouble codes, etc. This would cause the low idle concern. Raising the screw won't net you much good, if any good at all. It's not like old time carbureted cars where this stuff mattered.