Mounting a new midpipe

Old 07-17-02, 10:38 PM
Playdo
Visiting Guest
Question Mounting a new midpipe

I have a 1990 Pontiac 6000, and the midpipe has rusted through. I do not know much about cars, and my brother bought me my parts. I am replacing the midpipe and would like to know if there is anything that I should know, or any helpful tips.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 12:02 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I assume you're talking about the extension pipe. This is the pipe that runs between the catalytic convertor & the muffler/tailpipe assy.

The pipe is clamped to the convertor outlet & muffler inlet. Expect the clamps to be corroded & difficult to remove. Also expect the pipes to be rusted together.

The extension pipe slides OVER the convertor outlet, so you can chisel it off without much hassle. The problem comes at the muffler. The pipe slides INTO the muffler inlet. Chances are good the muffler inlet is corroded & weak. Any chiseling in this area will probably destroy it.

You *may* be able to separate the extension pipe from the muffler w/o damaging the muffler inlet IF you have access to an oxy-acetylene torch & know how to use it. Even if you are able to separate the pipe from the muffler, the muffler inlet will fail soon from the heat & stress of removing the pipe.

Bottom line is...replace the exhaust system as a unit from the catalytic convertor outlet to the tailpipe.

Old 07-18-02, 04:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Knuckles. Pitch the whole thing from the cat back or it's going to be a gazorch to save old rotten parts. Not worth it, you'll do it twice.

The parts are cheap enough, go for the gusto.

Knuckles: I find that a sawzall/recip saw works wonders on exhausts and is VERY efficient for doing so. Lol.

I have to do my "new" cars exhaust system soon (my grandparent's 1989 Cavalier which I inherited), and it has the same exhaust set up, so I'll be in the same boat. I will have the power and air tools at my disposal though .

Old 07-18-02, 12:50 PM
Playdo
Visiting Guest
Great, thanks for the advice. I am not on the road yet (I am 19 without a liscence! Whoda thunk?), but hopefully in one week i will be. I will have to shop for a new muffler than. I already purchased the midpipe/extension pipe and the gasket. I know I will need one clamp for the midpipe, so besides just the muffler, do I need anything else? And what muffler do you recommend?

Old 07-18-02, 10:00 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Inspect your system to see if any hangers or other hardware is worn or rusted. Replace anything that is suspect.

I personally prefer Walker mufflers & pipes. Walker parts are available from most good parts stores. Buy the "quiet flow" muffler if you want something that lasts. The cheapie mufflers usually last only a year or 2.

Joe_F:

I agree on the Sawzall & have a nice 18V cordless unit for exhaust work. It really comes in handy when I need to chop an over-the-axle pipe in two to remove it. I usually use my air chisel to remove old pipes from cat. outlets. It's faster & chisel bits last a lot longer than Sawzall blades.

Old 07-19-02, 03:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I find Walker stuff to be good, and also AP is fine for most cars. Most cars if used for short trips, wipe out the exhaust in five years from the moisture hanging in the tailpipe.

Also Walker doesn't offer the correct one piece over the axle "dual" exhaust pipe for my F body cars. AP does. Shame on you Walker .

Old 07-19-02, 05:39 AM
Playdo
Visiting Guest
Great, thanks for all the help! I am going to go to the store soon and get a new muffler! I will not skimp on it, I refuse to. I dont like the idea of having to do a repair more than once, so i like to do it right the first time.

Thanks again!

Old 07-19-02, 07:13 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Cool

Walker doesn't offer the correct 1 piece over-the-axle pipe for your F-bodies & AP doesn't offer the correct 1 piece over-the-axle pipe for '78-up A/G bodies w/ single exhaust. Strange!

Old 07-19-02, 07:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I'll have to check that one out .

You gave me an idea Knuckles. I have to do this same type of pipe splitting on the Cavalier I was given. I was wondering how I'm going to get it out.

I'll just sawzall the pipe off, move it out of the way and then try to cut/slit the old pipe so it will slide off. I don't have my compressor hooked up, so the air grinder would have been ideal for this! I was thinking of slitting it with the sawzall and jarring it loose .

They should just put a flange there. Then you can zip through the bolts and put a new flange if needed .

Old 07-28-02, 10:35 PM
Playdo
Visiting Guest
Work started...

Well, i FINALLY started working on this.... (I got my liscence!)

Boy were you right! The pipe is rusted to the cat end and the bolts that are on there...... let me just say... bad. I tried everything, rust eater, penetrant, torch, kicking the wrench..... finally went on it with a grinding wheel...... I am going to drill the body of the bolt out and rethread the holes.... fun fun! I am going to the parts store tomorrow to get a new disc (the old one was eaten up!), a muffler, and a hanger (Check this out..... NO HANGER! it was rigged up by an electrical wire, wrapped a few times around and knotted. Where it was wound arounf the tailpipe, the insulation from the wire was melted off and the wires caused the pipe to rust around where it was tied..... )

And other than that, I replace the power window motor in the driver side door. I changed my oil, will be changing my brakes and fixing the drivers door lock, so I can open it with the key! Lots of fun for me this week!

Old 07-29-02, 12:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job. You're getting it there, hang in there. Yes, I agree, the things I have seen done to cars over the years, they will blow your mind! Lol.

This is how you learn and you seem to be doing nicely. Bravo!

Old 08-01-02, 04:05 PM
Playdo
Visiting Guest
Talking Finito!

Well, I am all done with that midpipe! It sounds so much nicer now! I had to grind the heads of the bolts that connected it to the cat, and then drill out the rest. That was no easy task either, it took me and my father 2 days of drilling! But we got em off, mounted the pipe and bolted it back with new bolts w/ nuts.

I would just like to express my thanks to all who helped, especially Joe. Thanks! I will be back everytime something goes wrong!

I had my brother help me do everything else (front brakes, oil change, power window motor). I have to take it to a shop to recharge the AC, and then I will fix my lock (driver side key wont unlock the door). There is one other problem, but I am going to post that in a new thread...........

Thanks again

Riz

Old 08-01-02, 04:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Once again, nice job. The ole "A" body is getting there. I'll be doing some exhaust work on my grandparent's (now my) 1989 Cavalier this weekend.

I have to hook up my compressor with a dedicated circuit (It would work on an existing one, but I want a sole circuit for it), and then it's a piece of cake .

Search this Thread