Vw Oil Leak

Old 07-18-02, 05:15 AM
Unhappy Vw Oil Leak

I have a 1964 Beetle with a 1600 engine (standard carb & accessories). The car is driven only infrequently, primarily as a back-up or loaner. I went out to crank it a couple of nights ago and couldn't get it to start. I diagonsed a defective fuel pump which I replaced yesterday. The car cranked right away, but I noticed oil starting to drip onto the engine case from under/behind the fan shroud. As the source of the leak is not apparent with the engine tin in place, I am in a quandry as to how to locate it. If I pull the engine, I can't run it to see where the oil is coming from. Does anyone know if the fan shroud can be removed with the engine in the car? Ayudame, Por Favor.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 05:33 AM
perdoneme, amigo, pero yo no comrendo para como trabajar en un VW.

Old 07-18-02, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Put the thing up on four stands and support it well. Gunk the engine to remove any oil you can..

Run it now and see if you can locate the leak.

Old 07-19-02, 12:45 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The leak is probably coming from the oil cooler. The cooler is hidden inside the fan shroud. You'll have to remove the engine (a 1/2 hour job!), generator & shroud to access the cooler. A leaking cooler will be covered with a hairy looking oily mess, so it should be obvious if it's the problem. It's also possible a pushrod tube or 3 has collapsed or rusted through.

Old 07-19-02, 04:42 AM
The oil cooler is what I fear. The leak seems to originate too high up to be a pushrod tube. The 1/2 hr engine removal is a little bit optimistic for me. It takes me that long to block the car up high enough to drop the engine! This is an in the driveway project, and it is too hot to fool with it now. (The temperature when I got home from work yesterday was 96 deg.) It may have to wait till fall! Thanks for your comments.