1990 Dodge Caravan-stall

Old 07-18-02, 11:52 AM
dkeller
Visiting Guest
1990 Dodge Caravan-stall

Have a stall problem with this van. 3.0 EFI, auto, A/C. When cold or first running stalls only when making a right turn. I know, I know ---weird. Does not do it when making a left turn. No electrical misfiring or any of that. Has new air filter, dist. cap, plugs. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 12:31 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Hi Dean,

We need more info and clarification on the info you already provided.

Does the vehicle stall as in loose power but stay running or does it stall as in die?....if it dies, does it restart without any problem?

You state it stalls when cold or first running....does it stall when warm as well?

If stall means dies, do you loose all power to your accessories as well, i.e. radio, heater/AC blowers, headlights, dashlights, wipers, etc?

Help us help you.

Old 07-18-02, 02:06 PM
dkeller
Visiting Guest
1990 Dodge Caravan-stalls -

To clarify, it stalls only when cold. By stalls, I mean whenever I make a right turn, it stalls out losing all power and the engine shuts down. Most times, it will start immediately afterwards. Thanks.

Old 07-19-02, 04:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Still need more information.

Maintenance history? Mileage? etc

Old 07-19-02, 05:26 AM
dkeller
Visiting Guest
1990 Dodge Caravan-stalls -

Well maintained with regular oil changes, tuneups, etc. 140 K for mileage. Have replaced alternator, starter, back at around 100 K. Does not burn oil, or miss. Did most recent tuneup about 6 months ago consisting of plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, air filter. Have not changed fuel filter in sometime, however. Only put about 4K miles on it per year. Thanks again for the help

Old 07-19-02, 09:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.alldata.com for known bulletins on this problem as well.

Check the wiring closely in this area to make sure nothing is exposed or chaffing away at bare metal.

Old 07-19-02, 01:21 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
I see where Joe_F is heading and I would have to agree. This sounds like an electical short. Be it in the ignition switch, wiring harness in the steering column or exposed wires being grounded that have come loose when turning right. Especially if you are losing ALL power (juice, voltage, etc) and then when you straighten the wheels it will start right up.

Diagnosing mechanical problems can sometimes drive ya nuts....you just have to think about the signs and symptoms and rule out what could not be causing it or them before you can start looking for what could be. The key is, don't jump to conclusions too hastily or you will be spending unecessary amounts of hard earned cash.