Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clutch cable

Visiting Guest

07-18-02, 03:40 PM   #1  
Vendetta
Clutch cable

Hi. 82 Subaru GL 1.8L here again. I have spent more time on this car than it is worth, but anyways, I just replaced the clutch assembly. I did everything correctly, double-checked to make sure everything was right. Well, now the clutch acts as if it is not pressed in all the way. Now, to backtrack, when I first got the car in January, the gears would grind as I shifted, not too bad of a grind, but really noticeable. In February, the clutch cable snapped and I replaced it with a new one. When I did that, the clutch would grind but barely. Then about March, the grinding got steadily worse, and I tightened the clutch cable, making the grinding not so bad, but the grinding would eventually come back worse. I kept tightening the cable, and it kept getting worse, until the cable was as tight as it would go. Then the clutch just quit working. Now that I replaced the clutch assembly it is acting as if the clutch is not all the way pressed in. My question is: could all the tightening have stretched the cable out enough for the clutch to act like this, would getting a new cable correct the problem? Or is it something else?

Sponsored Links

07-18-02, 05:45 PM   #2  
will it shift with out grinding after clutch replacement?
check the adjustment on the clutch cable it should have about an inch of freeplay at the top of the pedal before you feel the resistance of the clutch starting to engage.
if it still grinds when shifting it is possible the synchros may be damaged causing it to grind.

Visiting Guest

07-18-02, 06:50 PM   #3  
Vendetta
It does still grind when I shift, but like I said it acts as if the clutch is not all the way pressed in. When I am stopped and I don't have the brake pressed, the car drives foreward slowly and the engine lugs and shakes. I'm just wondering if the clutch cable could be the problem or if it is something else.

07-18-02, 07:00 PM   #4  
try looking up the adjustments on your car it appears that it has more than one adjustment.http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Search this Thread