Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

AC repair

Visiting Guest

07-19-02, 05:26 AM   #1  
redneck
AC repair

I think I posted about this last year--but it was not hot last summer! The '91 beretta work car's AC has been down and out for about three years now! Due to a bad hard line--I just recently purchased the new line from GM. Question, should I replace the compressor? Being that it sat for years without being used? Also, usually when your low on freon the compressor will not engage due to pressure switch, but you can jump a wire from the batt and it will kick on--mine does not! I plan on keeping it R-12 because I have a friend in the business, and he has R-12, vacume pump and gauges.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-19-02, 09:40 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The compressor is "probably" Ok, but it might be worth it if you have mileage on that sucker to get a Delco reman unit or quality aftermarket unit and be done with it. They are not that bad.

If you're into it for the long haul, I'd say replace the compressor. R12 is too scarce and expensive to gamble in my belief.

Visiting Guest

07-19-02, 07:54 PM   #3  
knuckles
AC Delco doesn't offer a reman. compressor for this application (according to their online catalog). They list PN 1135266, which is a brand new unit w/ clutch. It's available from www.gmpartsdirect.com for about $265 + shipping.

Avoid Factory Air, Murray, Everco & Four Seasons reman compressors, esp. for this application. These brands have a very high failure rate in my experience. They're either junk right out of the box or the shaft seal leaks in a matter of weeks.

Make sure you replace the accumulator regardless of whether the compressor is replaced. The accumulator contains a dessicant that is surely saturated w/ moisture after 3 years of exposure to the atmosphere. Add about 2 oz. of fresh mineral oil to your new accumulator prior to installation.

Search this Thread